Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Romanized Lyrics for Songs Not In Latin Alphabet

Recently, Spotify (at least in my iOS app) has added a very helpful feature which is lyrics. It finally collaborated with Musixmatch (thanks God why haven't you done this sooner).

Problem is, I am an Indonesian listener who is familiar with Latin alphabet. I loved many Asian songs, which we know, are not written in language using those Latin alphabets, namely K-Pop, J-Pop, or you name it. Those songs' lyrics are still shown in their original alphabet (K-Pop in hangeul, J-Pop in kanji and hiragana, etc). Usually, foreign listeners are able to sing-a-long by looking at the romanization version.

Now I know that Musixmatch indeed does not have that romanization lyrics, but Genius does and I know Spotify has partnership too with Genius, I guess? So, why not give a choice for listeners to choose between Genius or Musixmatch?

TL;DR:

1. We want romanized lyrics to Asian songs or any songs not using Latin alphabet

2. Give options for Spotify listeners to choose which version to show

3. If Spotify can no longer show Genius' service, push Musixmatch so that they make romanized lyrics available.

Sincerely,

Global Spotify member.

[UPDATE]
A comment below notified me that Musixmatch has provided options for translations and indeed they are now shown in Spotity. I see this as a nice improvement! However, what we wanted is a romanized version of the original language so we can do sing-along 😞 Please make this happen! 

CFF35FAF-E6F4-4976-98AF-608EB31A1579.png

Updated on 2022-06-21

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Luan
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-07-20

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Would love to have this on Android and Windows too.

I love the lyrics feature but since I can't read Asian languages I can't really sing along.

Joe1089
  • Yes, I'm agree with this idea... If the lyrics is in kanji or hiragana, it would not help us to read the lyrics(unless we could read it but... It takes time and effort to learn kanji and hiragana, it is easier to read romaji lyrics), also I too hope this is for all platforms, not just iOS.
nathanredblur

Will be even better if Spotify allow integrating plugins, so, we can use any other source of lyrics that includes Romanized versions. I think Musixmatch will never include this version of lyrics in his platform. 

an alternative for mac and linux user is LiricsX

https://github.com/ddddxxx/LyricsX

bruhnylette

i hope you have time to vote for this too because i have included all other platforms, suggestion thingy. : ))

[All Platforms][Other] Romanization lyric options ... - The Spotify Community

Hydeshin

I would be wonderful! I listen a lot of japanese rock music, but the tittles of most part of musics are in hiragana/katakana/kanjis whic I understand nothing! So it would be very helpfull be able to choose the tittles and lyrics in romanized text or original text.

Yokocho8

I just made a JPOP x ANIME playlist and was delighted that most of the songs had lyrics. Unfortunately I can only read hiragana and katakana very slowly; my kanji is even worse. I'm hoping for a romanized version on Spotify so I don't have to google the lyrics. I'm using Spotify on both my iPad and Samsung phone by the way.

Deesukii

PLEASE NO.

I’m from Korea and now most of my Korean music has romanized lyrics! I want to have the lyrics in the original form romanization is so annoying and only caters to English speakers and just rids the music of all its original personality!

please make this optional atleast!!!

amknana12
Yes, make it optional is a good one.

I personally have never seen the Korean lyrics in any songs (only 1-2 songs
have Korean lyrics), and didn't Spotify only enter Korea literally
yesterday? 🤔

Also no, it will help non-Korean users, not only English speakers. I don't
speak English on daily basis.
AARP41298

Yeah, is very annoying, the problem are the writing guidelines of musixmatch "Transcribe lyrics in their native scripts. NO romanization"

And musixmatch supposedly, brings automatic romanization - "This is because we already provide users with automatic romanized version of the lyrics in the "Translation" section." extracted from the support page.

I search for hangul and kanji song, and i dont find the romanization button on the transaltion section.

Also, are locked lyrics, some of theme are in romanized, but in the korean-japanese "translation" are the original ones.

Musixmatch doesnt respect their own guidelines?