Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Make Shuffle Icons Discernible for Color Blind Users

I love Spotify, and find its color scheme generally pleasing. However, I'm horifically color blind and have to really struggle to figure out when shuffle is on while using the mobile app. I'm not quite sure how this could be rectified while maintaining a cohesive aesthetic, but I thought I'd mention it because I assume other people might have this problem.

Overall very minor issue, though.

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2017-07-06

Hey @HurleySk we're happy to announce this was implemented with the Desktop app update 1.0.57. Our player controls with active states like "Repeat" or "Shuffle" previously only used a change in colour (from Grey to Green) to show when they were active.
We have now added a small dot below the active icon for our users who suffer from colour blindness to show if they are active or not. Thank you for your continued feedback, we're listening!
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 11.06.22 AM.png
Omario

Hi guys - saw this and I am very grateful. Could you please think about doing the same for your mobile platform? I listen while driving in California (very sunny!) and so I can never discern the colors either. I'm also color-blind with one prosthetic eye - don't get me started! Thanks so much - love you guys. Omario

markbudde

@meahtenoha I just used the web player for the first time since the update. The new icons solve the problem perfectly! I can't wait for this to be implemented in mobile.

lcsbchtld

While it is great that this was implemented for desktop, I and many others use their mobile devices and it has not yet been fixed on iPhone. Would this be a possibility too?

pureetofu

Can you PLEASE extend this functionality to your iOS application?

rsdoktor

My roommate is also colorblind and your fix did not help... This issue is she is red green color blind. So, any text or icon that is green on a black background is really black on black to her.  Pretend you are making a black and white copy of the page.  If you can't see it, neither can she.  The latest is the fact that there is now a white icon that turns green when you select the device you want to listen.  It turns green when selected. She can't see it.  Please do a little more research or add a display option in preferences. Many thanks!

Yordan
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2023-11-08

Hi everyone,

We're happy to announce this was implemented with the Desktop app update 1.0.57. Our player controls with active states like "Repeat" or "Shuffle" previously only used a change in colour (from Grey to Green) to show when they were active.

We have now added a small dot below the active icon for our users who suffer from colour blindness to show if they are active or not.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 11.06.22 AM.png

Thank you for your continued feedback, we're listening!