Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
Staff
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

hendersj

Thank you for returning this feature.

Hopefully next time, you'll talk to the community before removing features that your customers consider crucial for use. 🙂

partybart81

Thankvery much!

jayb581

Good.. so now I have to unlock my phone to open app or notifications while driving to change the track....very safe. So if you take away features does our subscription cost go down? 

hendersj
@hayb581 - maybe you missed it, but they've re-introduced the widget in the
latest update.
walp

"We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back" said nobody sane ever after deliberately and unilaterally removing it..

Seriously @Spotify, not being harsh or anything, but please get some customer care course..

taylor85345

Thanks for bringing it back!

paulodiogo

We did it! What a beautiful community!

Virdoz

Well, a few things to note. I have not reinstated my family sub and do not think I will either. While I am happy to see that the widget was brought back because of the enormous outcry from paying customers, I have noticed a further decline in the performance of the application.

I uninstalled and reinstalled to see if that would be a fix but did not do so. Upon opening the application and selecting any playlist, I had created and or saved; I was meant with a 5 minute plus wait time of a green circle whether I was on mobile data or wifi. I am seeing that I have already transferred all my music to another service with the same cost that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

mrmdbarton

Thank you Spotify for reinstating the home page widget. It shouldn't have been removed in the first place and should not have needed more than 16,000 votes to get your attention. The update seems to with fine for me.  I hope that you will learn from this and that you are now listening, on an ongoing basis, to your customers again.