Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bring back the ability to add local files to Your Library

Just discovered that the feature to add local files from my desktop to my library has been removed. I have a large amount of music that I have as files on my computer which are not available on the Spotify library for various reasons, but I still want to be able to add them to my personal playlists and listen to them on the same platform as the rest of my music. I can't be the only one who has this issue. Being able to add my own music to a library is a bit of a make-or-break feature for a music application for me.

Updated on 2020-11-19

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Your voice has been heard and this is now implemented into our current test version of the 'New Desktop Experience'.

Feel free to share any further feedback related to this feature, or the new test version in general, here.

Happy listening 🎶

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2020-05-14

Hey @claireinetteish 

If you're getting a Web Player experience in the Desktop, you may be part of a test. Check this thread for more info:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Desktop-Lost-Features-no-friend-tab-etc/m-p/4915829

If that's the case, please vote for this Idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Allow-an-optional-switch-between-desktop-and-web...

For more info on how the Ideas Board works, click here. 🙂

Katerina
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-05-14

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Jaeho

Totally agreed. Bring us back the feature!!!

Megandr

Absolutely agree with this!  I have some treasured music in my collection that is not on Spotify, and even after having gone through hoops to get it onto my mobile device so that I can play it through Spotify, I can't add any of these tracks to playlists or stream them to my speakers. This was never a problem with Google play music. I know lots of other people have brought this up. I love Spotify, but will consider switching if this doesn't get addressed

Tombo

I don't know why on earth they got rid of this feature as it is very handy and useful as Spotify doesn't have all releases on it and I have a lot of music that isn't on there. It is very frustrating.

rossisdead

We need real answers as to why the desktop app is being replaced with the web app.

Can we get some clear communication on why all of these feature regressions have taken place instead of this copy/paste non-answer about being "part of a test"? Why are we not receiving actual feedback from the developers about anything?

What benefit is there to this change? Why is this being continuously rolled out to users when it's clearly lacking several features? Why, after several months of this rollout, have users not been given the ability to opt out?

The radio silence is deafening and, quite honestly, disrespectful to your user base.

YamiSpyro

Why the f*** would they remove such a handy tool? If it aint broke then dont f****** fix it

crying_unicorn

Also would be nice if songs and albums were sorted in albums and artists sections according to their metadata

fromeverybody

I completely agree! No idea why this option suddenly disappeared. 

Wattoson

I agree with this 1000 %. No local files no Spotify for me either