Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Make entire play queue editable

There's currently two queues in Spotify:

• The editable queue. ("Queued tracks")
  • The locked queue. ("Next tracks")

If you press the Skjermbilde-2015-04-10-20.52.53.png queue button with tracks in both lists, you can see that these two queues follow each other. The editable queue always plays first.

The problem is having a locked queue at all.

You can't empty it without interrupting playback, and you'll have to use a workaround to do so. You can't reorder it or add or delete songs. After finishing the editable queue, Spotify always continues playback from the locked queue.

The workaround is starting playback at the very last item on a page. The locked queue will then have no further items. Then you can continue by purely using the queue right-click function instead of double-click or enter. This adds items to the editable queue. These tracks can then be reordered and deleted as you wish.

This UI behaviour is, however, not very user-friendly and quite frankly really annoying. It's also very unconventional having two queues in a music player. I've never seen any other software using either a dual-queue system or a locked queue system.

Here's a good implementation suggestion from user Styrke:

----

Google Play Music's queue system is really easy to understand and use. Just do what they do.

I can describe it by three (3) easy bullets:

• Double clicking a song starts playing it and adds the rest of the list that the song came from to the queue. (The queue gets overwritten)
  • Right click one or more songs to add them to the top ("play next") or the bottom ("add to queue") of the queue.
  • Everything in the queue can be removed or rearranged by drag-and-drop

----

EDIT: I updated the terminology to match the new Spotify. Items are no longer yellow and white, but are now under separate headings and in the same color instead.

Updated: 2016-12-16

Hey everyone, now you can edit your Play Queue on your Desktop, Android and iOS device. You can add songs to 'Up Next', remove songs and clear the queue. Thanks for continuing to bring us great ideas!

Comments
Chrisjoker
Yes!!! This is the "play queue" issue I have problems with. I find it hard to believe that this is a big problem to fix. I miss it a lot, and makes spotify irritating to use.
Styrke

Google Play Music's queue system is really easy to understand and use. Just do what they do.

I can describe it by three (3) easy bullets:

• Double clicking a song starts playing it and adds the rest of the list that the song came from to the queue. (The queue gets overwritten)
  • Right click one or more songs to add them to the top ("play next") or the bottom ("add to queue") of the queue.
  • Everything in the queue can be removed or rearranged by drag-and-drop
rpserrano

You're right, queueing in Google Play Music is so simple, and just as it is supposed to be. Queueing in Spotify is unnecessarily counter intuitive, and it regularly makes me stop what I'm doing so I can play what I thought it'd play next.

Even though Spotify has really great features, this is really making me consider switching to someplace else.

johnacal

I've been a Rhapsody subscriber for over 10 years but now I'm considering Spotify because Rhapsody is no longer supported on Tivo.  I used Tivo to listen to Rhapsody through my home stereo in addition to mobile via my Samsung phone.    I really like Rhapsody's queue functionality from Windows, Android and Tivo.  Its very intuitive and flexible.  I'm not real pleased with Spotify's queue especially with the Android app.  So here's what I'd like to see improved:

1.  As previously suggested: full editing capability of the queue.  I want full flexibility to add, delete and move items in the queue. (Rhapsody does.)

2.  I think its more logical when adding something to the queue, to append it to the bottom on the list. (This is how Rhapsody works.)  Spotify puts it at the top of the list.  The best possible improvement would be a choice to put at the top or bottom of the queue.

3. I want to be able selectively delete one or more items from the queue while leaving the others in place.  (Rhapsody does this.) Spotify won't let me do that.

4. I don't like it that when an item plays from the queue it drops off.  Also if I select an item in the middle of the queue it drops off all the previous items.  (Rhapsody leaves everything in the queue unless you specifically delete it.) How about a choice to leave the played item in the queue or not? 

5. The queue needs to be easier to navigate to from the Android app.  I dont like that I have to go to the now playing list and then select the queue icon.

6.  There's no easy way to simply delete the entire queue.  (Rhapsody has a Delete Queue option)

7.  It would be nice to save an entire queue to a playlist.  (Rhapsody does.)

8.  The ability to see "More from this album" and "More from this Artist" from any song.  (Rhapsody does.)

9.  As previously suggested, unwanted songs get added to the queue unintentionally depending on how you add the song.  Its taking me some time to figure out how this happens.  

jenenifer

You should be able to remove songs that are automatically queued, e.g. when you start a playlist and don't want a specific song to be played. As it is now, you can only delete manually added songs to the queue.

2Changz

When you right click a song in your queue, the last option should be remove from queue. I can see it. Maybe you are clicking on the next tracks section of the queue which are songs that are coming up, not necessarily songs you have added to your queue. Just the next song in the album, playlist, etc.

Taylor

I think he is referring to removing songs from 'next tracks' hence allowing you to effectively stop a song from playing in the playlist.

Anthony

Why would you not allow the user to remove songs from the Queue – what is the queue there for then???

Anyways Spotify seems to be playing the same songs in my playlist all the time while there are songs I have never heard, why?

2amuse

The Spotify queue is the worst implementation in a streaming service I have ever seen.  A million complaints over a long time are completely ignored.  I don't get it.  Get someone new to administer the programming who actually reads the comments and acts on them.

MadTinus

Just another bump for this topic, to re-emphasize my ongoing frustrations about the play queue, it seems to have gotten even worse with this week's update of the client. Please take the complaints of your paying customers seriously.