Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Podcasts] Toggle Video for podcasts on mobile

Listening to JRE Joe Rogan Experience on Spotify using my phone. The app uses too much data as it streams video. I would love the option to turn off video feed to save on data, otherwise I cant freely listen to JRE wherever I am.

I do love the video feed, much better functionality than Apple podcasts, so I do love having this available, but I want to be able to switch it off especially when not on wifi.

Another feature could be the option to download Audio and / or video in advance (so we can choose if want to download audio only or video as well). That would solve a lot of my data problems. 

Updated on 2021-10-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

You'll be happy to know that it's now possible to toggle off video for podcasts when you're not on WiFi.

image.png

Happy listening🎙

Comments
Luan
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-09-03

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

Just for your information, we've made some changes in the title and the content of the idea to make it more clear for other users too, but the idea continues being what was suggested by you. I hope you don't mind.

There is also a related idea, but for desktop, here.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

crewey

How many votes does this require before someone actually looks at it? 

You're causing people to consume large amounts of data at our own expense.  Not everyone has  WiFI or large data plans, these people are being  priced out of listening. 

Having dropped such a large amount of money on The JRE Podcast, I really thought you'd have put more thought into this.  I hope you don't hang around  and wait for the required amount of votes as this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Podcasts are a way to listen to

spoken word easily. You failed to grasp the very basic concept of what a podcast should be. 

crewey

How many votes is required? 

Screenshot_20200911-070139.jpg

 Here, just copy someone else that already knows what they're doing. 

maximo101

I agree, while i mostly watch JRE on youtube with video in split screen, or on a smart tv app but thats on wifi at home.

When i do listen via another podcast app while driving it uses less data when on mobile data.

Spotify needs to have the option of audio only as most users only listen, but the video is also a big part for others.

The option needs to be implmented.

Ianbword

Agreed it takes a while to load these podcasts with my crappy data plan. Make it optional to turn it on and off. 

jeffwhite75

I always download the podcasts on wifi so I can listen to them while I'm on the road for work. Since JRE moved to Spotify, I already got a 75% data usage alert. I don't believe the video portion in downloading as I hit this in only 7 podcasts. Inever reached this limit before. 

I don't really care how many votes you require, I don't think Joe signed the deal so you could alienate his fans. 

henrik_6

This is tupid.. please fix ASAP.

I don´t think Joe would appreciate you don´t have an offline version to keep the podcast free.. as that is one of his highest motivation to keep bringin his material to everyone.

If I want to take a long walk and listen to JRE on Spotify.. I need to use my mobile plan? Even though I pay for Spotify Premium?

I always download my podcasts to save my mobile data plan.
But as JRE now becomes exclusive for Spotify I need to use my dataplan to listen on it outside wifi.. even if I download it??

Jesperwurtz

Come on! I have been a premium user for years now, and I love the main focus of your app: SOUND! Why would I sit and look at a podcast for 3+ hours? It's nice to have the OPPERTUNITY for video... Not being forced to download/stream massive amounts of data, plus draining my battery in no time. You should be ashamed of yourself, putting this to a vote. Go fix it, no questions asked! It's called service and taking responsibility. It's a pity really, I was really looking forward to JRE coming to Spotify, but you kind of ruined that experience, and damaged my view on your app in the process! This is not something for a vote. This is a minor error, that should have been corrected.

Fd-painter

How do we vote this up?

spotify has basically taken JRE away from me even though I’m a premium subscriber.
I can’t even listen via apple podcast app as Spotify has used all my data!

Riverwrx

I listen to JRE while working. I need just audio please correct. Joe we need this fixed my man!