Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Podcasts] Toggle Video for podcasts on mobile

Listening to JRE Joe Rogan Experience on Spotify using my phone. The app uses too much data as it streams video. I would love the option to turn off video feed to save on data, otherwise I cant freely listen to JRE wherever I am.

I do love the video feed, much better functionality than Apple podcasts, so I do love having this available, but I want to be able to switch it off especially when not on wifi.

Another feature could be the option to download Audio and / or video in advance (so we can choose if want to download audio only or video as well). That would solve a lot of my data problems. 

Updated on 2021-10-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

You'll be happy to know that it's now possible to toggle off video for podcasts when you're not on WiFi.

image.png

Happy listening🎙

Comments
nickjbedford

I can't believe it's been months and this issue has not been fixed. I'm a seasoned software developer. This is not even a big deal to implement and honestly should have existed long ago. It's so obvious.

Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 180 votes in 6 months! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

forensicbp

Need this yesterday. 

Mihail
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2021-06-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Doubleopinter

It is sooo ridiculous that we have to stream the video. Come on guys, seriously. You guys are buying up all the podcasts and you have the worst platform for it. I literally only listen to JRE in your app because I have to, otherwise I would be back in Pocket Casts in the blink of an eye. I get texts from my carrier telling me that I have used over 7GB of data in a month and I’ve been home like everyone else on wifi. For the small amount of time I’m not home I’ll listen to JRE if something good is on…

Also, I pay for premium, why the heck do I still get ads in the middle of the podcast???

Huffmast

The fact that this is. It possible is the stupidest thing on Spotify! I imagine it's some type of corporate greed reason. Oh well, I'll just find other podcasts. I'm not dealing with it. 

Mj662

Your app currently uses extremely large amounts of data when in car mode, the app is downloading high-quality video and not even showing the video, it should not do this it should only download audio went in car mode even if a podcast with started watching video. I suggest you fix this I have gone over my data limits three times now very frustrating! I would think you’d want to save data on your servers as well this is costing you money. 

slugboy6000

I've been listening to Joe Rogan forever... until the move to Spotify.  

I recently downloaded the Spotify app just to listen to Joe, only to find it unusable due to data consumption.  I don't have wifi.

Humanity needs a video free version.

virtualthrills

This is a joke, streaming without a video option is a no brainer and should of been implemented by now. Having to download podcasts before listening to them when we don't need to because we have data service is just another inefficiency. Streaming video on a phone takes up massive amount of BATTERY POWER on your phone and is not acceptable.

Shossni

It’s been implemented!

242EDA75-835F-42C0-AF15-5BF5FB53708E.png

7AEFD3A1-1981-4DAF-BC53-1717780CC964.png