Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Friendship Playlists

Alright listen up, you are meeting someone for the first time or carpooling or you met a friend of a friend and how do you get to know them best? Through their music taste. In fact, you really want to be jamming out with them but you just don’t know what songs they like and you really don’t want that awkward silence when you know a song and they’re like.........uh......... I don’t know the words. What’s the solution you ask? A friendship playlist. You would find your friend on spotify and there would be a button next to their name that says “friendship playlist” which would automatically create a collaborative playlist consisting of all the songs you have both put on your playlists, 100% guaranteed bangin’ time while you both sing along to the songs that you both know!

Updated on 2021-10-16

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to invite a friend to join a Blend playlist which will include songs you both enjoy 🙂

For more information be sure to check out the Newsroom blog and our FAQ

Happy listening 🎶

Comments
mpnthr

Awesome idea! Great for drinks in the park, going out... without fighting over music.

Here's an idea of how I would use it.

Go to person's page

Select "Friendship Mix"

User is presented with some options like:

1. "Chill" (slower songs, good for chilling out, commuting together etc)

2. "Party" (for before going out or house parties or crazy drives)

3. "Favourites" (maybe, could utilise the most played on each person's Spotify Wrapped regardless of genre)

4. "Custom Mix" (Spotify presents each user's public playlists side-by-side, then the user selects which ones to merge together, does not include songs outside of these playlists).

Spotify auto-generates a non-collaborative playlist for the user (without notifying the other user)

Spotify presents the user creating the playlist with an option to notify the other user, which, if sent, notifies the other user that a Friendship Mix has been created. The other user can accept and the playlist turns in a collaborative one, and appears in both user's libraries so both users can manually add songs.

In the playlist itself, there could be an option to make the playlist "smart" so it updates every day so two users can have one autoupdating Friendship Mix til the end of time. This could be similar to what Spotify Family users have access to.

-

In settings, users should be given the option to turn off Friendship Mix OR have the option to ALWAYS be notified when a Friendship Mix is made.

volkytolky

I checked today to see if there is such a feature but it didn't exist. It can be even enough to be as a family mix with an adjustable friend list. It's a very nice idea to have.

sherrio1f1

Went to propose this idea and found it’s already been mentioned! Think this would be an amazing idea. Me and my friends could just listen to the songs we both like rather than only knowing a few.

Wolf_village595

This would be a great idea for Spotify to include in their app!

In the meantime, there’s a website that has similar features, as well as giving you Spotify Wrapped type statistics on demand. It’s free!

Google “music taste space” kudos and thanks to Kalana Vithana for putting it together!

(Maybe I’m old fashioned so i never click through links in forums, I find it safer to just go through google!) for those of you who aren’t scared, musictaste.space

paulvidal

Hey there 🙂

I dreamed about this feature for a while and decided to do a small application. The idea is you both connect your accounts, and the algorithms generates playlists with songs in common (can work with big groups).

You can then add the playlist to your Spotify in 1 click. I you are interested, try it out here 

http://sharedspotify.com

Bonus: you can even find songs in common with friends using AppleMusic.

Hope you like it. And I hope Spotify will make the feature soon available to all 🙂 

Paul

adrianxso

need this, cmon spotify

Mihail
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2021-05-27

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange and for bringing us your continual feedback. We also think this is a great idea and that there's an opportunity to make it happen, so we're looking into it further.

We'll post here when we have an update - Stay tuned!

jlannie

When I’m in the same car with my friends or family members, and I’d like to play some songs that we all love, we need the feature which gathers overlapping songs from two or more playlists and create a new playlist automatically, so we only need to play one playlist in order to listen to everyone’s favorite songs.

Gaweringo

There is something in Spotify called Blend, which lets you send a link to someone and Spotify creates a Playlist of 50 songs that both of you should like. It's under Search -> Made for you -> Blend. It's still in Beta so idk if this is availible to everyone or just people that are in the beta program. But I still agree that a way to merge playlists or create a Blend without having to leave Spotify to send a link would be nice.

Xenia
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2021-10-16

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to invite a friend to join a Blend playlist which will include songs you both enjoy 🙂

For more information be sure to check out the Newsroom blog and our FAQ

Happy listening 🎶