Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
jhamelin25

I cannot believe this still has not been implemented. Just shows how customers' privacy is not a priority for Spotify.

Gray11

This has been around since 2015. It is now common practice and after losing my account this week, it should be a top priority to protect user accounts in the current environment. When is Spotify going to take protecting their user's information seriously!

TwistedRail

Here to put some noise to get 2FA implemented onto Spotify. I hate having to change my password every other month just because someone managed to log on to it from somewhere in the world. 

For context, my password 3 months ago was some thing like #$/fee/][0(((11+A~.

Atheos1

Not everyone uses Facebook, please add 2fa so we can use Authy / google authenticator or simular compatible

Two step verification REALLY should have been implemented by Spotify years ago. In this day and age it’s a basic security measure that almost all services use.

the fact that Spotify doesn’t have this does as a user make me hesitant to engage with the service and continue using it particularly after having someone else access and use my account despite my following all the reccomended and available security measures.

if two step verification isn’t implemented soon I will likely close my account with Spotify and seek alternative and better secured services for my music streaming needs.

SaschaG1

But hey, we will get Spotify Platinum for only double the price. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FastfoxX

Implement 2-factor authentication already!!! I’m sick of getting my account compromised for the 3rd time already. I have a spotify family subscription and sometimes people within the family get kicked out and another person I don’t know joins. Fix it please, because you’re looking into this situation since 2015. That’s a pretty long time now, isn’t it? It should not be that hard to implement it when you allow the development team to fully focus on it. But I guess new features are more important, which doesn’t make sense in my opinion. Also Spotify could hire some security experts or whatever, they’re making enough money anyway.

Anyway fix this ASAP, because now it feels like Spotify doesn’t care about privacy, which is very disappointing as we’re approaching 2023.

soyrobin

Suggested in 2015, under consideration since 2018 and here we are, in 2022... how much consideration time do you need to implement a basic and minimal security measure?

LSteffensen

This is a joke. 2015!!! And still I gotta live with that my home stereo suddenly blast music with profanities while i have guests? 

This happens about 3 times a year that account is compromised - i follow all security steps and measures, and never experience problems on any other platform. 

This is such a simple solution, but here we are... I am very grateful you dont handle my bank details. 

aragon1985

Hello, it is about time Spotify implements the 2 step authentication. As a recent victim of account theft, this would have prevented me to go through all the logistics to get my account back.