Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Romanized Lyrics for Songs Not In Latin Alphabet

Recently, Spotify (at least in my iOS app) has added a very helpful feature which is lyrics. It finally collaborated with Musixmatch (thanks God why haven't you done this sooner).

Problem is, I am an Indonesian listener who is familiar with Latin alphabet. I loved many Asian songs, which we know, are not written in language using those Latin alphabets, namely K-Pop, J-Pop, or you name it. Those songs' lyrics are still shown in their original alphabet (K-Pop in hangeul, J-Pop in kanji and hiragana, etc). Usually, foreign listeners are able to sing-a-long by looking at the romanization version.

Now I know that Musixmatch indeed does not have that romanization lyrics, but Genius does and I know Spotify has partnership too with Genius, I guess? So, why not give a choice for listeners to choose between Genius or Musixmatch?

TL;DR:

1. We want romanized lyrics to Asian songs or any songs not using Latin alphabet

2. Give options for Spotify listeners to choose which version to show

3. If Spotify can no longer show Genius' service, push Musixmatch so that they make romanized lyrics available.

Sincerely,

Global Spotify member.

[UPDATE]
A comment below notified me that Musixmatch has provided options for translations and indeed they are now shown in Spotity. I see this as a nice improvement! However, what we wanted is a romanized version of the original language so we can do sing-along 😞 Please make this happen! 

CFF35FAF-E6F4-4976-98AF-608EB31A1579.png

Updated on 2022-06-21

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
MadYaku

well done guys 😛 500 votes done 🙂

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2022-06-21

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Gustavopsc

Dude, All Song titles by Kyary Pamyu Pamyu got romanized, Literally Romaji, and I can't go back, i used the Japanese Song Titles to study my reading, and now i can't no longer. Even tho i'm always using my Spotify in Japanese, please spotify bring an option to choose whether you want to display Romaji or Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji, Please.

amknana12
Hi! Thanks for your comment. Which song is it? I tried looking up the
artist and the lyrics are still in Japanese characters.

So it’s not rolling out the same in each geography? 🤔
faqinhell

Yes yes yes! I think it should be an option, perhaps turned off on default out of respect for the language, but something for us non-speakers and learners can use. I’m slowly trying to learn Japanese through listening to Babymetal, Love Live and Bandori. I occasionally look at translations when I can, but a lot of the time I just really enjoy listening to the music, and I listen to too many songs to learn them all off by heart from the get-go.

It would be great to have the romanji lyrics as an option, so I can at least hear what they’re saying (I have auditory processing issues, and it’s hard enough for me to understand what songs in my first language are saying, let alone a language I only know a few words (and counting) in. So lyrics I can read are very important to me, in both (and any) languages. It would help me be able to sing along to the songs when I don’t really have time to Google for the romanji lyrics (it takes time for me, as a lot of the titles are in hiragana or kanji and I would have to Google what I think I hear some of the lyrics are, and it usually takes a good 15+ minutes of me trying to find it). I plan on learning hiragana and kanji, but unfortunately, I don’t have a chance to at the moment 😞

Having romanji lyrics as an option would help me learn by understanding the actual sounds of the word first, and then later on I can learn the hiragana and kanji of it once I know what to pair them with. 

Jinaum

I'd love this feature! I wish I could switch over to romanji if i wish to sing along but not take away kanji or other languages for native speakers. It would be awesome if one could switch over to a fonetic version.

chlsji

Agree, I would love this idea.

Michaelxer

Optional to switch is the best idea! hope they consider and realize this idea soon 🔥

guccigangg

yes, love this idea, but keep it optional so it's a win-win for both natives and those who cant read/read slowly

bingo31

Pleaseee make this happen! Been looking for this feature for a long time