Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
anaraee

Rather than clicking "Add to Playlist" and choosing a new playlist time after time, allow the user to "check" a box next to the playlists they want to add a song to, so they can quickly add/remove from multiple playlists at once.

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 2.00.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 2.00.12 AM.png
blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2015-10-14

Marked as new idea. This is a repost of the following inactive idea.

sirensic

That would be fantastic ! When you discover a new song, you usualy want to add it in multiple playlist and it's a pain to do when you have a lot of those. Even worst if you add it in a playlist twice and have to deal with the "duplicate" pop-up (Seriously, why can't we see in which playlists our songs are again ?).  Having a way to do it all at once would be great.

Johntheone
Yeah that's actually a good idea, I find myself lately constantly dragging songs from discover weekly to catch up playlists and my commute playlists.
BecChrisLogan
I would love this option on the app. Also maybe, when you click to add to a playlist, the playlists that song is already on could be greyed out to prevent us from clicking it and then getting the message that it's already on that playlist.
kyn4n

This is a really great idea! I have to do this manually all the time. Some songs really do suit 2 or more playlists. 

And please make it easier to actually find a playlist when using Add to playlist (eg using filter)
Udouble

Great idea!!

arecheese1

I really wish that this feature could be added!! thank you!!

saved

Hi @anaraee

I'm happy to add your 100th kudo to your very good idea.

I think it would be even better if Spotify could combine it in some way with this one:

Way to know in which playlist is any given song at once

I think it would be very useful as a check before adding songs to our playlists.

I will post a link there to see if anyone who votes for it would like to support your idea as well if they haven't seen it yet.