Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
antoniojunior

I´ve been wanting this for SO LONG... I was going to suggested it actually. that´s why I ended up here (and I found many other related similar topics elsewhere). I wish this can be implemented soon.

s19aggarwal

I think it would be extremely beneficial if on the mobile app to be able to add a song to multiple playlists at once, rather than having to go back and forth with adding it to all the playlists you want. 

MalikDR

Submitted by Super_mandy Wednesday

After clicking "add to playlist". having the opportunity to add to more than one playlist at a time would save a significant amount of time. YouTube provides a good example of what I mean. Also like on YouTube, perhaps being able to remove a song from a playlist can be possible from this view as well; but that is not the point of the post of course.

And/or simply having some other way to see the playlist(s) a song has been added to. This type of view would be very helpful for ppl who are particular about playlists, whether it's wanting a song on multiple playlists OR adding a slow song to a chill playlist / rap song to rap playlists. Then perhaps a chill rap song to a chill rap playlist? You can see how this would save a lot of time for someone who listens to a broad genera of music if a song maybe meets the criteria for more than one playlist, why go back and forth in a race before the song ends? 

Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-17

Hello @MalikDR,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

ryan118

Wild that this was originally suggested 6 years ago in 2015 and still hasn't been implemented. Seems very simple to make happen, and it would make Spotify way less frustrating. I've considered switching platforms because of this

MiasMe

Hey, are you guys working on it? Or should we keep re-submitting it? The way it is today is SO BAD

jinsolodolo

@MiasMe - It's been 3 years since my comment on this chain. I think it's time to start another thread. I'm with you!

öäüß

The years go by,

Spotify won't try,

Cry, baby, cry ...

trenthetfield

Maybe we should tweet Adele and ask her to suggest it...

JacksonK12

Wondering if this is ever going to happen