Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Support USB Audio directly - bypassing the Android Driver

USB DAC/amps are less impressive on Android Spotify because the standard Android driver is up-sampling. The Dragonfly Red runs at 44.1kHz with Spotify on my PC but on Android it up-samples to 96kHz causing glitching. Other DACs have similar issues. The proposal is for Spotify to access USB DACs directly, bypassing the Android driver.

Audiophile music players already take this approach, e.g. USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) and Neutron. Tidal works with UAPP.

This idea is a version of "Support USB Audio through the USB Audio Player PRO driver" without the 3rd party partnership. It was written in response to @meahtenoha's review. Both ideas originate from the USB audio out OTG support thread.

External USB headphone DAC/amps for Android phones are becoming a thing. What Hi-Fi has a Best DACs page that mainly lists portable audiophile kit. I would prefer to carry a phone and a DAC rather than a phone and a portable music player because it is more fun to have access to the whole Spotify catalogue.

Updated on 2019-09-18

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Comments
Samadroid
Absolutely agree. Using a dedicated DAC on Android Spotify is quite frustrating. And I'd say is in the interest of Spotify as well, considering what audiophile are ready to spend on audio quality.
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Marked as new idea.

jaki_treehorn

Hi,

Just founfd this Idea after perusing the web to find a solution to this issue.

Honestly if I could find a fix for this my DAP would be getting little or no use.

Please help Spotify, I love your product, but this would make it so much better.

wge3

Love Spotify service.

Really nice to have easy DAC solution to play via vintage high end home system.

DaVEroY

🖒

Manko33
Long overdue. This has been an issue for users since kitkat days and is quickly becoming an urgent thing for many users. Even if most dont even know to ask for it or have already moved on to sollutions by serious actors willing to go the extra mile for its userbase. People pick up on this and move on. Spotify is a great service in most respects. But in this respect it is severely lacking.
misthunter

This is a very important feature as more and more people are hooking up their android/ios devices to external dacs. Please look into this, Spotify

becomm

I've heard that Spotify has been working on a lossless streaming feature. If that's the case, supporting DACs is a must have feature! 

Now, I must be one of the lucky few, because my DragonFly Black (1.5) works like a charm with Spotify...

>> Nexus 6 unlocked & rooted with stock OS, Ugreen OTG cable 

Jake-Grabowski

Please bypass broken Android USB OTG driver to fully support DAC! Thats new killer feature in Spotify for Android.

ModestMase

This is such a complete no brainer. Please support this and make this change. I have been loyal to Spotify and I don't want to be punished for upgrading my listen devices.