Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Browse] Allow to change Country Origin Suggestions

Hi there,

I think many users get annoyed by those "local" recommendations that are based on the country that is chosen by their payment method.

E.g. I'm living in Europe, where English language is not local language, and I'm getting recommendations for the local songs, which I don't like, and I'd prefer English music over that, is there any chance I could change my country of recommendations to US or Canada? 

Thanks

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks

Comments

This issue is bothering me for a very long time. So thank you for suggesting it! From the moment I subscribe to Spotify, it immediately recommends me those local artists and playlists. I thought maybe depending on my music choice, they will disappear with time, but no:( I have to see all those country specific artists, when I open my homepage. Also, even though I changed the language into English, those local artists and playlist explanations also come with the local language. It is so annoying! Hope it can be fixed.

madhums

Yes this is a problem for me too! I am from India and I live in The Netherlands and most Spotify content shows up in Dutch! Especially Podcasts. I am a premium user of Spotify and I expect to consume information in a language that I understand. I reported this issue a year ago in customer support but nothing has happened until now. Lets get some traction on this and get it shipped!

PeterCsa

Hey,

I've also contacted customer service and they told me I had to post it here in the new ideas. But it'll only be taken further if it gets a 100 likes in a year time from posting. So it's still not guarenteed that it'll be solved, but I'm hoping I can get that 100 likes.  It is indeed very frustrating, to me also quite a lot of playlist appear in Dutch, inculding the contents. Not that I'm against Dutch music, but again, I don't understand the lyrics 😄

on7ulbceq8g510i

Dear Spotify,

Please, please do something about this stat. I love browsing for new releases but am constantly being accosted by an inordinate amount of Chinese / Korean music that a) makes me rage and b) hinders my search for new music.

Because of the sheer amount of gibberish I have to filter through, I usually start seizing before I discover something I like and would like to listen to.

P.S. At least allow the option of hiding or 'disapproving' certain genres! Lord have mercy.

Warmest regards,
Kate

offirnaveh

Please work on it already. The fact that it is not possible is ridiculous. I want suggestions for podcasts from the US (for example) and not my country. You should at least have the option to change "Suggestions From..." if changing the country of origin is not possible.

DarthPjotr

I have been following this idea a long time. Spotify did not come with any decent answer.   Not if or when they are going to implement it. Or that they can not it because of local regulation.

Dear Spotify could you please give a decent responce?

daftvader

I live in South Africa, but I'm not South African, and I hate South African music. Yet most of my suggestions when I browse are South African rappers and African house and lots of weird $@#% like that. Please Spotify, let me actually have a use for your browse section. I thought your big thing was personalisation? This isn't personal at all, it's as if my years of listening have had no impact on what you suggest, because you simply prioritise regional music.

elchachu

Dear Spotify,

This thread has over 500 likes and has been going on for more than 2 years! Yet no response! What is going on? Although everyone here would like to be able to set their country freely, many would be satisfied with an explanation as to why it cannot be done. We are not asking for much!!!!

Samucachang

Please make this happens, I live in Brazil and I can't stand funk or sertanejo, I rather put nails in my ears then to listen to "chucka - chucka - chucka" after a jazz song. 

Melody
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks