Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Change Device Name in Device List

We need to be able to configure the display name of devices in the "Devices" list in spotify. This doesnt have to be a feature available on every devices, maybe even a setting only available on the website so it has the most coverage if its an issue implementing it everywhere.

But 

This Phone

DESKTOP-I59JLM2

ECHO-4F0 Speaker

GWDD-PBWETYX

Galaxy S6

As a list sucks. Its a fairly basic usability feature to have that list as

This Phone

Gaming PC

Upstairs Echo

Work

Paula's Phone

Which would make the selection of a device to control/listen on far easier.

Thanks.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
dfidler

Please implement this out at least release the Spotify app code so we can do it for you. Seriously guys, this is a quick change to the app to check if it is running on an amazon device and, if it is  to query the amazon api for the device name set in our account. Please fix this. 

rahilpathan

Let us know when you give a fix

Joengelhart

Is Spotify stupid? Like this works with every device but the fire tvs? This makes my smart home look stupid as **bleep**. Guest come over and are confused. Fix this. It seems like something that Spotify just got lazy with and now doesn't care. How could it not be in your time-line??! I shouldn't have to connect to 3 differnt devices to find the device I'm looking for

M4ark

The first post of this topic have to be reworked to get attention by Spotify: Only in the comments you see the main issue with the FireTV stick names. In the first post of this topic somebody just want to rename his current unique device names. So, this looks like a not so importend nice-to-have ticket for Spotify. Actually we need a new ticket, because this one is burned...

jar97-US

Hey this request would also help with security!!! I can't tell what devices are actually logged in when it just displays generic device names or model numbers or web browsers. I've had someone hacking/exploiting my account (commented on another active ticket about that...) But this would be way easier to manage if I could just rename the devices to something I actually recognize. I have no idea what "desktop-(random letters+numbers)" is so I keep having to log out of things that really are my devices. Please reconsider this request through the lense of security and to help users help themselves when managing connected devices.

Goodman
Status changed to: Case Closed

Updated on 2019-12-03

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your feedback.
At this time we do not have any plans to implement this.
Tip: This Idea may be of interest to you 🙂

If anything changes we'll come back here and post an update.

chai420

Ability to change Name of Device (i.e. Samsung TV model#123) on Connected Devices List. 

Explanation: I renamed my Samsung TV from the Model # to a unique name (directly through the TV) and uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify app. However, Spotify won't register the updated device name. I rent out my space and am hoping to have a Unique Device name that clearly allows guests to connect to the right TV. 

Sabrinakaylyn

Its insane this isn't a feature!!

robhillier

This is a frustrating shortcoming. It should be a feature.

Yordan
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.