Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Daily Mix] Customization: Create / Remove / Add / Merge Mixes

Daily Mixes is one of the best additions to Spotify yet, but as all new features it has room for a lot of improvement, especially when it comes to customizing your mixes. Right now mixes are enterily dependent on algorithms, however I think users should have a degree of personal input on how mixes are built. For example, it would be great if users could select a couple of songs and then have Spotify create a mix based on those songs. It would also be great if users could remove a mix and replace it with another, or merge different mixes into one. For example, Spotify created two different EDM mixes for me, one based on house music, and another based on tech house tracks. I find that a little redundant and I would like to merge both mixes into one. There's also another mix which is a weird combination of ambient, IDM, downtempo and indie rock tracks (?). I would like to split that mix in two, one for indie rock and another for IDM, downtempo and ambient music. And then there's a pop/R&B mix which I'd like to replace entirely with a jazz music mix, since I don't listen to that much mainstream pop and R&B music in the first place.

Expanding the number of daily mixes to 8 would be great as well, since 6 mixes doesn't quite cover the variety of music I tend to listen to. Finally, being able to add back to mixes songs or artists that you banned on accident is a must.

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

You can create your own generated mixes by selecting Radio on any track, album or song you like - which will generate a playlist of similar songs. As mentioned in the idea, you could make a playlist of a couple of songs and then select 'Radio' by clicking the three dots to make your own funky mix. 

We have no further information on removing unwanted Daily Mixes, but we'll keep this idea open and keep you posted of any news here. 

Thanks!

Comments
Luzandro

isn't that what "Playlist Radio" should be?

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-10-06

Marked as new idea.

VannyFresh

I have a country mix and I hardly ever listen to country music. I'd like to instead replace it with a mix that features rap artists like Kendrick, Chance and Drake. THose are artisits I listen to a lot, and yet none of my 6 playlists showcase their tunes. Instead, I am stuck with a country playlist I have never touched. Maybe if I ban every song it will go away?? Felling your pain.

york707

I have 5 mixes.  I only listen to 2, and even those could use a lot of improvement.  In my daily listening, I mostly listen to guitar based music -- acrosss multiple categories: Punk, indie rock, alt-country, etc.  Mix #1 hits all of this.  And that's the problem. It is the only one of my 5 mixes that features guitars.  So it puts Wilco after Bad Brains and then goes into Dead Kennedys and then Okkervil River into Wipers in Nirvana into NOFX. I love all those songs and bands, but it creates some odd segues.  But the biggest problem is that it chooses from about 15 artists only (notwithstanding I have saved hundreds of albums and created hundreds of playlists for it to learn from).  And even then, it's usually the same 2-3 songs from those artists!  There is no variety!  Definitely no introductions to new music (like Discovery Weekly). 

Mix 2 is also good - it synthesizes all the electronic/ambient/chill music I listen to for work. 

But after that the next 3 are worthless. I have an entire station that I am sure is based on the fact I have the Hamilton soundtrack saved for my wife.  So I never listen to that and can't even figure out how to tell Spotify that that mix was a big whiff.  Mix 4 is based on the one playlist I have for my kids -- kids songs and Top 40.  Another swing and miss.  If Discovery Weekly can figure out that I don't listen to those styles on a regular basis, why can't the daily mix? 

Mix 5 is a variation on Mix 2, with some slightly more hip hop/breakbeat/vocal influences.  Not horrible, but considering 90% of the music I listen to on Spotify is rock music, it is really odd that they choose to duplicate Mix 2 and not Mix 1.  

drarrey

It would be really great if we were given the option to reset a daily mix or simply just to eradicate it to make room for more.

I have four of these mixes but two of them are just simply not in my taste anymore.

blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-12-16

Marked as new idea.

codyire

I think this is a great idea, I have 6 mixes, 3 of which i listen to regularly but some of the others I never listen to. The abitily to remove artists from a mix and to choose not to have them played again is great, but if the mix is still there and pulls similar artists into the mix it defeats the purpose. the daily mix is a great addition to spotify, just needs another feature or two..

york707

Oh my, this is insane. On the one hand, they added a classical channel, which is nice, but they deleted two channels -- Mix 2 and Mix 5 as described above! Mix 2 was one of 2 mixes I actually listened to! They left Mixes 3 and 4 (which are now renumbered), and I have NEVER listened to them! 

How did Spotify get the listener experience of Discover Weekly so right, but these Daily mixes so wrong?!?!

w1n570n

I just wanna be able to reset my daily mixes. As well as being able to adjust what bands/ songs are played through playlist radios. The thumbs down option does it for the song but not the artist. As with the daily mix you can remove entire artists.

ashleyweller213

agreed!! I'd love to be able to add specific artists to a list too, or add one that has been accidentally deleted (which I just did- there should be an undo button at least!!). I currently only really use one of these daily mixes and I love it but a few of my all time favorite artists don't come up on it, and it would make the mix so much more complete to add them.