Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Playlists] Add density slider for UI display

With every update the density is decreased in the desktop app. The most recent update to turn the desktop app into the web app has made it even worse. 

More now than ever we need a density option to increase display density and turn off album art per line in playlists. 

This has been suggested before and closed despite lots of votes, but it really needs to be considered now. This is an absolute deal breaker for my continued subscription to your service. 

Updated on 2023-11-14

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that a Compact mode which hides the album art and displays the song's title and artist under two separate columns in playlists and albums is now available on the desktop app and the Web Player! Check out @MattSuda's post here for a detailed overview.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better by participating here on the Community 💚

Comments
fréw63

Agreed. Seems like improvements made for the mobile app are negatively impacting the desktop version more and more. Very sad.

Luan
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-04-21

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange.

We've marked this as 'New Suggestion'.
Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Gandolin

The current playlist UI is having a negative effect on my ability to enjoy the music. I can see why you've chosen to implement the web-code for the desktop app, but not taking time, or care enough, to fix the UI before shipping it out to the desktop users feels like a big f**k you.

I've paid for this service for over 10 years, and if this suggestion isn't implemented I will discontinue my subscription.

KarlchenKäfer

Love the idea of making this user choice! I don't much mind the new design, but if I had the choice, I would prefer more density, too. It's true this design looks more like a mobile app than a true desktop experience. Simply put: it degrades the efficiency of my user experience.

huwcbjones

My spotify desktop app updated today.

I have spotify on my portrait monitor so I can have an entire playlist fit on my screen.

I used to be able to have about 50-70 tracks visible, I now have 20.

An option to choose compact (old) vs "comfortable" (new) similar to gmail, would be appreciated

huwcbjones_0-1620065981016.png

jezzabells

Yes please! Everything on the redesign is way too big now, and unnecessary on a large screen. It makes sense on a mobile app but not so much on a desktop app.

There's no reason a playlist or album title should take up half of the screen, meaning I can only see the first two songs on the list without scrolling down.

Giving us a choice to choose between a compact view or large view would be a great compromise. 

avecleigh

I would love this. I feel like everything is way oversized with the newest update. The big artist picture, the album picture next to every song in a playlist. It just takes up so much space with non-essential information. Maybe some people like that, but I would 100% choose much higher density if I could. 

orchidhorror

The lower density really badly messes with my ability to quickly scan songs, and is really just badly inaccessible for me. If they're going to make big changes like this, at least let people toggle them. A compact view would be much appreciated.

Canasian

My Spotify updated and this is the first thing I noticed and I'm ABSOLUTELY INFURIATED which I'm fully aware is a first world problem in my otherwise reasonably easy digital life. However, music is VERY VERY important to me and I have very large playlists with over a thousand songs. The amount of songs I can see in the screens means a lot to me and now it's jumbled with album art and TONS of empty space between the lines. On my 4K 43" TV, I can only see 27 songs. If I zoom out all the way to the point where the text is almost illegible (I'm sitting 28" away from a 43" TV) I can see 40. Disappointed heavily in this change but would be great if we can have an option to change it to 'compact' mode. Information density matters a lot. 

CodeCaster

Please, please, please stop this "responsive design" madness that has inhabited the web and now is creeping onto the desktop thanks to Electron, PWA, SPA, and whatnot. I have literally millions of pixels to spare on my 2560x1440 monitor, the Spotify Desktop app on Windows taking up half of that, a what do I get on my home screen?

TWELVE (12) tiles with shortened titles and ellipsised descriptions, because, well, responsive and margins and stuff.

This is a 27 inch monitor (not Patrick) that's capable of displaying a full page or over a hundred of lines of very readable text in my word processor, IDE and browser. This is a computer monitor, not a tablet or smartphone. This "responsive" scaling fad is unintuitive and ridiculous and needs to go away, fast.