Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments

Hello,

I guess it's still not possible ? Even with libspotify and the API ?

Imogen9286

i agree! I've been looking for a feature like this for ages

allroadCole

I would REALLY like this feature.

ngrlvr

I've been looking for a website or some other product or service that does this. You would think this feature would be obvious, so my guess is that there's a reason the major music services don't want you doing it.

lentolento

Finding new music would actually REALLY take off by allowing playlist search with multiple songs. Think about it: you could find playlists with two eg. undergroundish songs that you really dig and would instantly find songs that you'll very likely dig and have never heard. I think this holds great potential and could actually be a potential business idea but Spotify really is the only usable company that can do this. Maybe it would help just geeks such as myself but man, I need this. 

epiphonedk

Would love to see this implemented. +1

random_impulse

This would be fantastic! I was hoping I was already a feature. Spotify is already one of the best tools for finding new music, but this feature would be such an improvement! The related artists feature is really useful, but this would be a revolutionary way of discovering new music. User to user discoveries based on your own library. I used to use a website called "lets mix" - you could search a song, and it would show all of the uploaded mixes on their database that had that song mixed into it - SSuch a shame it's no longer around. Please spotify, add this feature!

SaltyTurtle

This would be an amazing feature. In fact, I've actually been using Rdio solely for this capability and I have found a ton of new music. I pick out a few obscure songs that I really like and I can find playlists and new users to follow. If Spotify seriously wants to become a social platform for music, this is a great way to get in the game and promote the "follow" feature. Please make this happen!

Jermaine

It's a shame this isn't a top priority.

This goes along perfectly with Spotify's goal of making all music accessable. 

Nomadjackalope

I need this feature among my own playlists. I don't know about you but I have close to 90 playlists and know them mostly by the songs in them. Finding that specific group of songs is decently difficult because I don't remember the names of all my playlists.

I would love if this could maybe even be implemented in the playlist filter.

Thanks