Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
d-roam

Not sure if everyone's experience is the same, but for me, lately, not only is Spotify not recommending music from artists I follow, it's nearly stopped recommending music at all. It's taken to almost exclusively recommending podcasts. I don't know about all of you, but I find this incredibly frustrating.

If you're having the same experience and agree this is just straying way too far down the path of favoring lucrative recommendations over an enjoyable music listening/discovery experience, please consider voting for this idea: I want music in my Home feed again. Music and podcasts should be separated. 

Ajitsandhu

I have been using this app called crabhands on android it creates playlist for your followed artist new releases and also update and delete the old tracks.

Playlist:

We scan your Spotify account and track the artists you follow and (optionally) artists you have saved music for. We then let you know as soon as they release new music on Spotify.

You also have the option for us to add the new releases to a special playlist that we create in your Spotify account.

Artist:

We sync your artists automatically before checking for new releases throughout the day.

(source: https://www.crabhands.com/ )

App Link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=crabhands.android&hl=en_IN

bazzle

You've described extremely well just what I want to be able to do on Spotify. Why won't you add this? as OP said, releases radar doesn't cut it.

q2mf-ie3mq_g

Not sure why it is not an option to be notified when an artist you follow releases an album or song? It seems like a very simple feature to have and it would give users the ability to keep up with their favorite artists. The release radar playlist it cool, but it It is limited in providing the user with all new content from the artists they follow. Why not have both options available for the customer to chose instead of forcing them to rely on release radar to stay up to date with new releases.  You say:

"...we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Yet, I still find myself searching for artists I follow who release music weeks and sometimes even months ago. Please give us the option to select notifications for certain artists and please fix your mobile notification bugs.

rastadavid

The release rader does not give me what matters most to me. What matters to me are artists I follow, and right now I am missing releases by artist I follow unless I ho to each artist page. Please make it an option to see every new release but from artist I like and follow. Thanks

bazzle

If its not exactly this, how about a notification? , like on youtube when an artist you follow releases a new album.

At the moment I think there's little point in 'following' an artist when you don't get any extra visibility on them other than a playlist and an email.

Artists could even release short sound clips and you get notified on them. Raising interest for their new upcoming releases. Really think other platforms are leaving Spotify in the dust when it comes to innovations and inventing new ways we can discover and interact. 

maledicent

"...our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlist..."

Spotify this simply is not true, especially if you read the OP and any of the comments... The problem with Release Radar is you have to keep up with it every week or you will miss out on new releases. Not everyone has the time or energy to check out new music every week and when you follow a lot of artists it's impossible to keep up with the way Spotify works now. It would be great to have a notification feature and a timeline of artists releases so you won't miss out and you can check new releases anytime you want. I'm always discovering new music from some of my favorite artists months later because Spotify is lacking these features.

This is a bit off topic but at this point the only reason I'm still on Spotify is because I'm part of a family plan. I used to pay for this service myself until my family joined up but the amount of broken and missing features has become unacceptable. Other streaming services are far ahead at this point, Spotify used to be the top. The desktop app home page has been broken for over a year and it's been a known issue. It worked at one point a couple months ago but is back to broken the last couple months. That and the annoying aspects of the UI. When I click on Artists in my library section it will only show the music I have saved from them, which is fine. But if i want to view that artist profile I can't even click on the big circle with their picture or their name. Why is it even there then? I have to press the menu button all the way up top and find "go to artist" in an annoying menu that blacks out the rest of the display. Autoplay also doesn't work. If you are listening to music and already have a queue but decide to play a specific song from an artist page, the queue is emptied and no music will play after that song. These have been issues for ages and it's pretty ridiculous

Fancel

I very much agree that this is a feature missing and is sorely needed, as the current release playlist is lacking.

I guess I will use the 3rd party in the meantime.

mathiasmadsen

This was broken before and now it is even more broken.

After the latest update I can't even use the emails anymore (as seen in the screenshot there are no longer any artist links). I wonder when Spotify will listen to their customers and reverse to the original setup? Or make the playlist keep ALL of the tracks that are new and not just a selected bunch of tracks? One can only hope...

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 14.41.34.png

bzero

Bring this feature spotify!!!