Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover Weekly] Prevent Duplicates in Discover Weekly Playlists

For the past month or so, I've had so many repeats of songs on my Discover Weekly playlist.  Now, I can count on 5-10 songs that I've had before on the playlist. 

Is there a way to mix up the algorithm?  Or maybe an option to eleminate songs that have been on the playlist before?

Updated on 2017-08-25

Hey @earthquakepanda you'll be happy to know the team behind Discover Weekly recently rolled out a fix for seeing duplicates in your DW. We're marking this as implemented, but if you continue to see duplicates please let us know. Thanks!

Comments
jaygiles

This has been happening for me the past few weeks, and it is somehow the songs I dislike most. I don't even listen to the Discover Weekly playlist now, and it used to be my favorite feature. 

drdalton

This week's playlist had about 60% overlap with last week's...I fail to see how your algorithm becomes worse over time.

Can you please fix this? Discover is the one feature keeping me from switching over to apple, so hopefully you get this fixed....

mb9023

This also used to be my favorite feature but has become the same songs over and over. Support told me "keep listening and it only gets better!", well apparently not. Adding a dislike button would be SO easy and completely solve all these problems. There's a dislike button for the 'autoplay' songs after a playlist ends but not the list they create for you..complete joke.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2017-08-25

Hey @earthquakepanda you'll be happy to know the team behind Discover Weekly recently rolled out a fix for seeing duplicates in your DW. We're marking this as implemented, but if you continue to see duplicates please let us know. Thanks!

maarten9

I listen to Discover Weekly on a regular (weekly 🙂 ) basis, but have started hearing the same songs over and over from one week to the next, as well as hearing songs that I already have in other playlists: I'm not discovering as much as I would like to. Two suggestions that might help increase the variety:

1. If a song was previously in Discover Weekly, it can't be there again. Or at least not within X weeks/months.

2. If a song is already in a user-created playlist, it can't be in Discover Weekly. Or limit the number/frequency of these songs appearing in Discover Weekly.

kepeena

This still keeps happening ALL THE TIME. Each week I have at least 5 songs that I've either had before (sometimes multiple times) and / or have actually saved to a playlist - meaning that I've discovered it. It cannot be discovered again. 

Flocrates

Last two weeks have been fine for me, but this week I have nine repeats. I'm not sure if I have to sit through all of them so Spotify maybe registers that I didn't skip them (even though I've listened to them in their entirety the first time they were in my Discover Weekly).

@meahtenoha, while the fix seemed to have worked for a while, it is certainly back for me and others. Seeing all these reports marked as 'implemented' or even worse: 'not an issue' feels like a low blow 😕

rollor

This problem is definitely still occurring. For me, a full half of today's Discover Weekly are songs I got on previous weeks. (Oddly, the songs I get as repeats are nearly always the songs I was least interested in the first time around.)

janniksiebert

I have noticed that my DW of this week has a bunch of songs I have listened to before on Spotify, this hasn't happened before.

ingeborgmj

Please look here, it is not implemented correctly: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Discover-Weekly-keeps-recycling-the-same-songs/idi-p...

I still have issuses with it. The new dislike feature helps, but not so fun to dislike a third of the list because it's been there prevously.