Eavesdropping

The idea is simple. You would have 2 options. Enable/disable eavesdropping and enable/disable to be eavesdropped.

If you enable eavesdropping, you will be able to eavesdrop all devices nearby that have their device enabled to be eavesdropped and you can see what they listen at the moment. Imagine how many different songs would you be able to hear that other people listen to? Ultimate source of new songs. From heavy metal from that guy with the military bombers and a leather jacket, to some new rap music from that guy that acts all cool in the bus. Possibilities are endless. 

Updated on 2022-03-03

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Novy
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2022-01-18

Hello and thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

mphoa
Music Fan

This would be a cool way to discover music.

mandaroo62
Casual Listener

This is such a cool idea! Would be nice to have this work with podcasts too. If this idea is implemented, I would suggest having a constant indication if this mode is turned on (kind of like how the Private Session is indicated at the bottom of the mobile app). I personally wouldn't want to forget if I left the Eavesdrop mode on and was in a situation where I didn't want other people to listen to what I'm listening to lol.

Olivia191
Casual Listener

This is a great idea! I feel like it could work in unity with the private session, so if someone has a private session you wouldn’t be able to do this but otherwise you could. Adds a little privacy to those who want it.

Oxyhemoglobin
Casual Listener

This seems like a really good idea and a great way to discover new music or even make new friends! I would love to see this implemented

Luan
Spotify Star
Spotify Star
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2022-02-01

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Planefan08

Maybe passive and on by default, through Bluetooth? Could run in the same way as Nearby Share and/or AirDrop so that people listening offline can get in on it too! It could also be easier to add new friends 🙂

user-removed
Not applicable

Regardless of the option having to be turned on (& I hope its initial status is disabled until the user enables it), wouldn't this still be a breach of privacy as it wouldn't be too hard to tell which person on the train is listening to what etc?

CikaJovaZmaj
Casual Listener

@opinionated I must disagree that this would be any kind of beach, especially of privacy as the user is directly affecting the status of the Eavesdrop option and can willingly let other people see what they listen. I must stress that this would be solely the end user choice so the data that they would share would only be the music they currently listen and nothing more than that.

Kartikey15
This and also option to invite them to join a group session