Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fix the algorithm choosing too many short songs

It would be pretty nice if The Algorithm would reflect listening history and taste profile  in terms of song length!

It would be pretty cool if mainly listening to tracks between 4 to 10 minutes doesn't result in Discover Weeklies, Release Radars and Daily Mixes 80% tracks shorter than 4 minutes and 30% even below the 2 minute mark!

Personally it would be really sweet to see Discover Weeklies and Release Radars again with and average length of 3+ hours in stead of 2- hours.

Updated on 2023-10-27

We're thrilled to see that your suggestion is rapidly gaining popularity and we're updating its status to Good Suggestion.

We hope that it will continue to gain support from more users. Thank you for your valuable contribution - we truly appreciate it!

For more details about how the Ideas Exchange works, please refer to here.

Comments
MihailY
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-09-18

Hello @kweij,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Sakushey

Awesome idea!!!

kweij

Addendum: The same applies for Song Radio playlists. These are also generated with horribly short songs. Here is a random example:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1E8LfNZJHEOTde?si=3931d6003c574509

1h43m for 50 tracks, incredible! More than half of the songs are under 2 minutes, it's amazing!

Dragobrath

This is a severe issue that made Discovery Weekly and Daily Mixes borderline useless. You can clearly see that algorithm prioritizes very short tracks. It tries to pick artists and albums that are interesting to me, but since most of the songs on the albums are 7+ minutes long, my personalized playlists are composed almost entirely of intros, outros and interludes that are 1-2 minute long.

In the most recent Discovery Weekly 70% of recommendations were garbage like that. You can go over the playlist and check each individual <2m track and see that it's the shortest one on the album, which has most of the songs at 7-10m long.

Please fix this. This started happening around this spring. This was not the case before.

Dragobrath_0-1696310297562.png

barrymougie

Dear Spotify Executive Team - Your abuse of promoting "songs" that last between 1-2 minutes tops, in Discover Weekly & other playlists, needs to stop immediately. Paying artist royalties for a 30 second listen is a hideous new norm for the music industry, you're misguided. Separate yourself from the TikTok mentality, its garbage. Force these artists to actually compose a song rather than a sound snippet. 45-50% of my Discover Weekly are these 1-2 minute snippets: I'm not saving them. I'm not adding them to my playlists. It's Spam. They're making your playlists irrelevant. END IT. This is a defining moment in music streaming history. 

statics86

Great, I'm happy that I'm not alone. I'd vote multiple times if I could for this

AndySparx

Same issue here, My discover weekly has just reached bellow 40 minutes and I'm loosing my mind, none of these songs last long enough for me to pay even a 2nd thought to them. I find that this is an extremely recent issue that could be caused by an influx of AI generated music along with people trying to copyright almost everything, which has ruined the platform.

I don't want Spotify to become a hollow shell of what it once was because of this god awful nano content, I want real music, music that came from people who are putting in the work to tell us a piece of who they are, and I'm sure everyone else does as well.

Dragobrath

Same issue this week. 19/30 tracks this week are 1-2 minute trash. And 60% of the tracks that I blocked last week, appeared again.

Honestly, it seems that algorithm is so **bleep**-bent on pushing tracks that are short over everything else and it struggles so much to find short tracks among my interests, that it has to push the same already blocked stuff twice...

FIX. THIS.

AleaGamer

We need this. A 50-second song has already appeared to me in my Discovery Weekly. It seems like the algorithm loves songs under 2 minutes. Note: most songs last longer than 3:30, so the problem isn't with the songs I like.

MKeenan

It's getting absurd now. It really affects the listening experience in a negative way. The auto-generated playlists, like radios, auto-play after an album, and Discover Weekly all favour interludes and intros, or extremely short songs. This is terrible.