Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Full screen playback info and visuals (Desktop)

When you have a nice evening at home with some friends, music playing in the backgound, one question is raised every time and at least once:

- Wow, this is a great song. Who is performing this? From which album is it? Wasn't this guy playing in another band a few years ago?

Unfortunately, the desktop app is at the moment mainly focused on navigating and searching for music and not at all on the graphical / visual experience of the music being played.

On the iOS app this is far better, because you can swith to full screen mode to a static view of the front-side album art, song title and artist name. For starters, this would already be a great addition if this feature would be available for the desktop app as well.

But there are a lot more opportunities to improve the visual experience.

The best one I've experienced so far is a specific skin in XBMC/Kodi: Aeon MQ 5. It combines album art, artist art, artist biography and lyrics in one full screen view. The artist art is even dynamic and changes at a certain interval.

I added a screenshot to give you an impression.

Although there already are some ideas posted about bigger album art, I didn't see any idea's yet about the whole visual experience while listening to your music. Therefore I decided to post this idea.

Anyone else who is missing this or would like this to be developed? Or is it just me?
Screen Shot 01-23-15 at 07.29 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 02-07-15 at 06.41 PM.PNG

Updated on 2017-08-24

Hey everyone. We're happy to confirm this idea is now Implemented. Currently on Desktop users can go to fullscreen via the fullscreen icon at bottom right on now Playing Bar. This is available within any context so users can watch videos fullscreen as well as experience listening to playlist, podcast in this mode also.

Thanks as always for your continued feedback!

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 1.25.26 PM.png

Comments
Smitch

Nice to see fullscreen album art added. Great start but it would be great if this was complimented with some alternating artist wallpaper/slideshow much like Kodi has. 

tarunhiremath

it would be better if we get full lyrics on the genius slide, we can currently see only a part of the lyrics

Deeviant

is there any update on this - as a new premium customer I would have thought my desktop spotify would have become a lot more interesting visually and found this 'good idea' post while searching for something that perhaps still doesn't exist? to at least have the album covers for each song come up as a screen changer like the phone app if can't do anything more challenging would be good, especially when artists put so much effort into their album artwork ... 
disappointing spotify 😕 

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2017-08-24

Hey everyone. We're happy to confirm this idea is now Implemented. Currently on Desktop users can go to fullscreen via the fullscreen icon at bottom right on now Playing Bar. This is available within any context so users can watch videos fullscreen as well as experience listening to playlist, podcast in this mode also.

Thanks as always for your continued feedback!

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 1.25.26 PM.png

benonly

Yaya , great , the experience transcends the devices. Thanks for going that way 
BTW, not necessarily a full screen on desktop, but offer the same UX in a windowed mode.

Member for life, 

Ben

PS, we may colaborating on visuals soon .. heads up

rpjcheney

Very nice.  +1 for working in windowed mode as well.

I would also like to see just the album art in the Taskbar Thumbnail Preview, for when you hover over Spotify in the WIndows Taskbar.  That would be nice. 

Deeviant

anyone able to post a screenshot/image of where the 'full screen' option is on the playbar? I see nothing different with using Chrome. Is there another browser that is better recommended? thx in advancespotify playbar.JPG

jasqid

Long time Groove Pass user that just got dumped by Microsoft. As I will be making the move to a premium acount to Spotify once the dust has settled, my primary reason for using Xbox/Groove over this and others was because of the full screen experience it provided. My wife and I entertain... alot, and this was always a conversation piece during the party when streaming on my main TV via Xbox.

Since the email I received from MS informs me they have "Partnered with Spotify..." <cough> I would like to see this further implented into much of the same functionality over the small album thumbnail on a 70" flatscreen.

mreby

It would be great to keep playlist name and cover as well during full screen mode.

nat_nik

How can you do that? I can't get it to work