Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

It's necessary to solve the problem with "(feat. ...)" in the titles

Well, I have already described the essence of the problem in my picture in this post [attachment], but I want to explain it again. Labels often indicate "(feat./with artist name)" in the titles, which is unacceptable according to Spotify rules. Moreover, specify "feat." it is also useless in the title, since all the artists are listed below and we are in a situation where feat. artist is listed as many as two times (it feels like he gets more attention than the main artist lol). As a result, we have a list of artists and a very long title that has a title + again duplicates the list of artists that it doesn't even fit on the screen.

As a solution to this problem, I would like to suggest that the Spotify team create some kind of tool that would automatically study titles and remove artists from there, leaving them only in the line under the title, because titles are titles, right? Also apply a new moderation method for songs that have not yet been uploaded to the service. Also, as an alternative solution, it might be nice to change the names manually just for yourself (this option seems to be the most ineffective).

In any case, I would like to hear your feedback, what do you think about how much it is possible to implement this?

Slide 16_9 - Last one.png
Comments
sidewinder03

Having (feat. artist) as part of a digital song title has been really standard practice for a long time, and typically refers only to guest vocals. Credits below the track title can be guest vocals, producer, or individual members of a band depending on how an artist or label decides to set it up. So I find it helpful personally, and have tagged my mp3 files this way for ages.

I think what needs fixing in regard to song names is the hyphen often used in place of parentheses, even when official track names listed on album artwork, label sites, etc. use parentheses. Oh and don't get me started on the "remastered" BS. As a last.fm user, all this stuff has created a huge mess and who really cares when streaming?

chrishudsonmusic
Spoiler

Having (feat. Artist) in song titles is a great way to differentiate a song from a version without the featured artist. Spotify doesn’t show artists underneath the tracks in every instance (such as on artist profiles’ top 5 popular songs). If an artist has two versions of a song (one featuring another artist), the only other way to differentiate is with cover art. Having a visual indicator in the title is nice (when there are multiple versions). For most collaborations though, it could stay in the listed artists.