Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac] Touchbar should show Song Title

Happy that Spotify has implemented Touchbar integration with the new line of Macbook Pros, but I'm a little shocked that nowhere on the Touchbar is the current song name shown.

Using the feature from inside other apps brings up the pause/play/next/back functions with a very large scroll bar to scrobble through the song. I feel that fitting the song name + artist would be totally doable in this space. This feature would be especially useful within Radio or playlists such as charts/Discover Weekly.

Something to consider - would be greatly appreciated!

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
nfx

wierd now it does show my other touchbar features 🤔🤔🤔

hannahs

This would be amazing! I'm looking at the song progression now, and would love to see more info about the song.

mcih

Very good idea. Best to show half-overlay title on song progress bar (visible on other than spotify apps, when i can see only progress  bar and 3 button (<<   ||   >>)

lapinlehot

I use BetterTouchTool to do this with AppleScript, but it would be much better if integrated into Spotify.

bygonez

Thanks to the tip from lapinlehot! You can accomplish this yourself by using BetterTouchTool and combining it with the AppleScript example given here (with the addition of 1 line, "return trackName" ). BetterTouchTool is a pay-what-you want app with a suggested price of $7-10. I have no connection to the developer. You can try it for free for 45 days, which is what I'm doing to make sure it continues to work with Spotify. So far so good!

https://developer.spotify.com/applescript-api/

<span class="token keyword">set</span> currentlyPlayingTrack <span class="token keyword">to</span> getCurrentlyPlayingTrack<span class="token punctuation">(</span><span class="token punctuation">)</span>
displayTrackName<span class="token punctuation">(</span>currentlyPlayingTrack<span class="token punctuation">)</span>

<span class="token keyword">on</span> getCurrentlyPlayingTrack<span class="token punctuation">(</span><span class="token punctuation">)</span>
  <span class="token keyword">tell</span> <span class="token class builtin">application</span> <span class="token string">"Spotify"</span>
    <span class="token keyword">set</span> currentArtist <span class="token keyword">to</span> artist <span class="token keyword">of</span> current track <span class="token operator">as</span> string
    <span class="token keyword">set</span> currentTrack <span class="token keyword">to</span> name <span class="token keyword">of</span> current track <span class="token operator">as</span> string
    <span class="token keyword">return</span> currentArtist <span class="token operator">&</span> <span class="token string">" - "</span> <span class="token operator">&</span> currentTrack
  <span class="token keyword">end</span> <span class="token keyword">tell</span>
<span class="token keyword">end</span> getCurrentlyPlayingTrack

<span class="token keyword">on</span> displayTrackName<span class="token punctuation">(</span>trackName<span class="token punctuation">)</span>
  return trackName
  delay <span class="token number">1</span>
<span class="token keyword">end</span> displayTrackName<code></code>

Senshisentou

I understand that this goes against the Apple design guidelines, but at the end of the day they are just that: guidelines. Displaying the name of the song and artist over/ above the scrubber would not take up any more space or take away any functionality.

I'm not sure if this is possible with the current touchbar API, but it would be great if tapping the song name would bring the app to the foreground and pull up the song page; same for the artist (i.e.: buttons inside the scrubber item).

samlak23

+1

This would be awesome! No point for the huge seek bar.

iongmax

I completely agree with this. I rarely scrub through music on spotify but very often check to see what song has come up. Having the title and artist displayed even behind the scrubber on the touchbar would be infinitely beneficial so I don't have to scroll through my desktop.

sunmoonr

spotify pleaseeeee implement this!

helmer88

I totaly agree, the best use of this ponitless TouchBar would be the thing we music lovers always want: View the name of the song.