Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Playlists] 'Add to playlist' sort order should be custom

In the latest Spotify library redesign, when I try to add a song to a playlist, the modal that opens sorts my playlists in a seemingly random order. This is very annoying since I have a mix of many playlists/folders in a specific custom order, and now finding the correct playlist to add a song has become a pain. This has only become a problem in the latest update, and worked perfectly in previous Spotify versions. I think that the order of the playlists in the "Add to playlist" dialog should follow the same order as the main Playlists tab - that is, if I have my playlists sorted by custom, the dialog should be sorted the same way.

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Peter
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2019-07-25

Marked as a new idea + edited title slightly 🙂

ekkstyn

This problem is just so unnecessary. So annoying...

I hope they will change this very soon! You got my vote! 🙂

Emilia_8

This should possible from the very beginning. 

Lack of this function really makes creating playlists so much harder, since we have to go through all of them to find the one we're looking for to add a new song to it. 

raphtaph

I totally second this. I put my playlists in folders and arrange everything in specific order for easy access on mobile. I have multiple playlists going in a bunch of different places.

When it switched to "most recent", I can't add tracks to my playlists the way I used to, because I can't find it easily. Before, I knew exactly where the playlists were. In the new update, I have to read through the names of the playlist to look for it. We should be given the option to arrange playlists in "custom order", when adding tracks to them.

galaxdee

I am glad someone else noticed this issue and suggested it be fixed because this has been super aggravating to me. I'm definitely a bit concerned that this has been an open issue for months though.

As far as I can, "add to playlist" now sorts by some concept of "most recent" which could be helpful if I only ever made new playlists. But I have dozens of playlists, and when I hear a song that I want to add to one of my older playlists, it is nearly impossible to find because my brain remembers the custom order I have set for my playlists, I don't know when I have last updated certain playlists in comparison to each other. Making this arbitrary change has made spotify more difficult to use. If there must be only one sort method (which honestly makes no sense), then at least choose something where all use cases are still possible, such as an alphabetical sort or OP's suggestion to just use the user's own custom sort order.  But ideally there would be a way to scroll up and select how the playlists are sorted within the "add to playlist" screen. If you are more committed to some concept of clean UI rather than actually caring about usability, then at least add a user setting to choose the default playlist sort order and use that in the "add to playlist" menu. There are so many ways this could be resolved rather than just making an existing feature barely usable.

rhejinald

I went through some lengthy back-and-forth with customer support, eventually noticing it uses their "relevant" sorting, which looks at content of other playlists you have and tries to find similarities. I think support alluded to them supposed to having the "swipe down" to get at the different sort filters, but if you're here, you know that doesn't exist. Here's my own frustrations with it: https://twitter.com/rhejinald/status/1146517468396978176

And 100%; Spotify's product integrations cross-device have been a high bar for other apps for a long time, and this feels like a real shortfall.

Emilia_8

@rhejinald Yeah, the filter option doesn't work while adding songs to playlists. It only allows to organize playlists in custom order in library. 

Fortml

I am also very frustrated with this change. I am a fitness instructor with a franchise which integrates Spotify as our music application. I made 5 playlists per week for classes I teach at two locations, and this makes it very difficult for me to add to or find playlists as I'm working. My playlists appearing in the order they were created or in a custom order I define works particularly well for me as this is my primary use of Spotify, and I have heard other fitness instructors voice the same gripe. I literally have hundreds of playlists, and the algorithm the app uses to sort playlists after you click the "Add to playlist" feature is relatively nonsensicle to me as a user, and I cannot easily find the needle in the haystack Spotify has created here.

I understand this is still a glorified example of personal use of the application and my personal preferences are only but so important to the platform as a whole. However, this kind of use represents instances of Spotify's relationship with partners that have integrated the app from a business perspective, and there should be a place within the settings for users to define the way their playlists  sorted, to accommodate the business, personal, and combination approaches to using Spotify.

Dchapa10

Especially in the instance of when youre adding a song from a radio of a playlist, the origianl playlist you have created a radio from should be the one always at the top when you try to add a new song to a playlist

bLasagna

How many votes are required in order that something is done ? I annoys me a lot since the update. It can't be that hard to remove the "feature" which changes this order every time. 
Or I'd be happy if a search bar is added which adding a song to a playlist to search one. It would also fix my issue but one of the two needs to be done... please...