Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Please bring back the old group session. "Play from same device"

The old group session, "play from same device option" has been removed and it has saddened many people. It seems the only group session option is now remote group sessions, where the music is played on each individual device.

This group session, "play from same device" feature was personally one of my favorite features of Spotify. When it was first introduced, I quite literally showed all of my friends to use it. I understand it was in beta, but this feature was used by many people, quite literally all the time. We know this feature did not work perfectly, but we would use it regardless of the tiny flaws, it was honestly my favorite thing about Spotify.

Whenever I, or any group, would have friends over, I would always offer to start a group session so that everyone could contribute to the music being played. Having this option, friends could seamlessly contribute to the music being played so that one person would not selfishly play music the entire time. It was so fun having everyone able to contribute, without having to hand over the one single phone to everyone that was connected to the device, just to add a few songs to the queue. Having someone scan a code and then instantly able to add songs to the queue was a perfect idea for hanging out with friends, in person.

It appears with the new update, there is only an option for remote group sessions where the music is played on each individual device, I'm asking to consider bringing back the "play from same device."

To recap, this feature allowed people to share music during in-person hang sessions, and from the people I had introduced to it, all found it to be one of the most fun features of Spotify.

So, dear Spotify, please bring back this feature!

Thanks,

Troy and many others!!

Updated on 2023-12-22

Hey folks,

Thank you for all the support! 

We're happy to announce that the 'Play from the same device' feature is now officially back!
Changing the status here to Implemented 🙂 

Comments
infernno7

Agreed. Bring back the old party queue instead of “remote queue”. We’re all listening from the same speaker, contributing and adding to the same queue, but any time any of us gets a call or we play a video on our own phones it pauses the music on the speaker for everybody. Website is glitching so I can’t vote for the original post, but consider this my vote for the old party queue feature.

Timbo2289

I use a Bluetooth speaker at work and we are constantly having to go hit the Bluetooth button because a coworker has a song they want to play, I wish we could just all add to the queue and let the music continue without much of a interruption. Bring it back plz

psychonout

I really loved the feature and used it all the time last summer, please make it work as it used to

skwaab

Group session was a staple of nights with friends and it gets removed and replaced with something completely backwards. I can't wait for this feature to be re-implemented, you had it right the first time.

valentinroots

Could not event get the remote group session to start and could not find allegedly present Spotify scan. Loved the old feature!!

prestonbateman

PLEASE bring this back. The updated way wastes battery as music is streaming to every device instead of just one with the others acting as remotes for the queue.

T3RRORTOAST

PLEASE PLEASE bring it back, I listened with a friend to music in our car - I could add songs if I wished. We all ask us why this good feature was removed. The beta was perfect, now the function is completly useless and unstable. Now its a beta.

rblyn

It‘d be a shame to have this awesome and really practical feature expelled forever on this platform! 

m00seg00se

This was the only reason why I used the group session feature! It allowed me to not have to pass my phone around when people want to queue their music. Please bring this back!!! 

Jbrione

So happy I'm not the only one who feels this way! Spotify are obsessed with making unnecessary changes that categorically worsen the user experience.

Does Apple Music let you share a group session without WiFi? Apple One is starting to look more appealing every day...