Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] 8D Surround Sound

With the reemergance of layered/3D/8D/headphones only audio videos on youtube, I would love to see an option like that become available for Spotify. It would:

A.) create competitive edge over all other streaming platforms

B.) potentially become a money making premium only feature (free to trial first of course)

C.) be a great way to connect with artists who truly care about their musical output and the experience for listeners

D.) be really freaking awesome.

Here's a list of songs that would be grerat in 8D:

Slow Dancing In The Dark – Joji

3005 – Childish Gambino

You Should See Me In A Crown – Billie Eilish

Wait a Minute! – Willow

SUMMER – BROCKHAMPTON

Call Out My Name – The Weeknd

and basically every song ever because music is wonderful

Updated on 2021-06-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2018-09-26

Marked as new idea.

Phantis

I'm unfamiliar with 8D sound, but cool.

Sebasty

I am not quite sure how cool artists would be with this. As much as I've heard this feature on Youtube (I have a friend that sends me links to some), it doesn't really do much else than distort the audio.. notably.

For those who haven't heard that - it sounds like a single speaker is floating around in an empty cathedral or cave. 🙂

Artists want users to hear their creations the way they intended their music to sound like. I'm... pretty sure they are not too happy about something like this feature.

True surround sound (5.1, 7.1 and such) could be wicked though. I have one track in 5.1 with this gloomy clapping sound that also rotates through channels, it sounds infinitely more realistic.

mrclrchtr

5.1 Sound would be great enough!

jasonchong1

This idea is great and I strongly believe that it'll be worth every dollar that I'm paying. 

EveDeadBird

Guys, I don’t wanna be “rude” but... 8D doesn’t exist, it’s just the same song panning from left to right, some reverb and other effects, it isn’t a really new system or technology, it’s nothing of official and it doesn’t give the same impression in everyone

9783bre

well of course everything auditory is just volume and reverb effects. (Ever tried the virtual haircut?) surround sound audio is still notably different, and a combination of all those techniques would probably still be super dope

EveDeadBird

Yeah, but in this post look like a new standard or technology, it’s just effects, so it’s really useless ask something like this cause the most easy thing it’s upload the song with this effects, but it’s an artist’s choise

9783bre

Re-emergence means it’s been out before 😂😁 all love all I meant was an option. Like how on Tidal you switch out the defenition quality per your preference. Same concept 

Hodgo218

All you have to do is upload the song file with 8d audio. The feature is already there if i'm correct.