Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Bookmark audio books and separate them from music

Please implement bookmarks for audio books and separate them from music.

There was an idea for bookmarks in audio books. Sadly it was closed, because one half of the idea (save the position in podcasts) has been implemented, even though nearly all of the 30 pages was about people wanting this for audio books.

As the moderator posted "If you'd like to see the same behaviour for audio books, we'd recommend making a new Community Idea for this.", so this is it.

There are many other audio book bookmarks requests, but they were all closed as duplicates because of the now closed idea. 

As an additional aspect to this, please ensure a separate handling / tagging of audio books and music. When alternating between listening to audio books and music the Spotify engine starts putting book chapters in your recommendation playlists, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

01/2023: It's astonishing that Spotify keeps steadfast in ignoring this simple and annoying issue. Getting a best of 2022 list with chapters of audio books still isn't a good idea. 

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Comments
Jenny5a

Hello Spotify.

Please let us know when you are going to implement this "must have" feature also for audiobooks.

Thank you so much 😉

Melody
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hey folks,

We appreciate you coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks 

Blueshirt

Not good!

freda42

Wow, so 5 years since the original idea ([All Platforms] Bookmark Position in an Audiobook or Podcast) and massive community support for the idea (if you count all posts wanting the same thing together) and this is the only answer we get? Not even a reason for why?

Blueshirt

The problem is obviously the Spotify tech bods have never tried to listen to a 10hr 24min hour audiobook with 216 individual tracks (Red Station by Adrian Magson I'm looking at you!) then go away and listen to their music for a bit and return to their audiobook at the place they left off at a later date.

Implementing something for podcasts is one thing but if Spotify are going to carry audiobooks among their music then having a way for people to bookmark their place in an audiobook is completely logical and not actually a massive ask. This idea doesn't need kudos it just needs the Spotify IT staff to try listening to some audibooks, and then music or podacsts, then see how cumbersome the current situation is when they want to go back to their audiobook. They might understand the problem then. Spotify are happy to take audiobooks on to their service without logically following it through and understanding that people aren't going to listen to ten hour stories in one go like they would a 12 track music album that lasts an hour.

dieuze

Come on guys, this cannot be true. As Blueshirt says, audiobooks need to come with a tagging functionality (e.g. I'm listening to audiobooks during car travels but listening to music in the many times in between). The lagging functionality is simply annoying - since long.

Kim_Chi

Why in the world did you set the idea on "not right now" after it's already been around for 8 years Spotify?! You can't be serious about this! 

Audio books get into my mixtapes all the time, if I listen to my Release Radar, guess what? There's chapters of audio books. Don't tell me it's that hard to copy the podcast function for audio books. I don't listen to them at all anymore, because it's a pain in the ass to listen to music if I need a pause and to switch back to the book afterwards.

AUDIO BOOKS.

ARE.

NOT.

MUSIC.

CK_Stuggi

Ok folks, looks like the only way to build some pressure is downvotes on the app stores.

I know I'll leave a one star feedback.

murpsel

I consider setting a request to "not right now" without giving a reason highly inappropriate and lacking any respect for the issue and unanimous participation of the community.

Especially since it doesn't concern an exotic feature, but something that can be considered a bug.

Try alternating between listening to some audio books and music and tell me it's not broken, especially when you start getting book chapters in your recommendation playlists...

spaceOrca

Really a pitty to see this has been marked as "Not right now". The audiobook is not usable for me, as it does not save the position. Audiobooks on Spotify are organized same as songs and albums: albums represent the book and songs represent the chapters (or just a part). Often the "song" (chapter) names are very long, that the name is not shown completely. It is almost impossible to remember the correct position to jump in next time - moreover it is impossible to choose the right "song" without counting them. Audiobooks are a great thing, but the feature has to be reimplemented completely I think: one file for each book, Spotify remembers the position throuout all devices. Oh yes: and please separate them from Podcasts and Music and make them their own section. Thanks!