Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fans and superfans

Fans and superfans

Hey!

As I read through an article about superfans, another article that began with sour experience with devoted fans of some artist, I'm just weirded out.
There was also a meme post in a fan group I observe about a random girl saying the band sucks, and the singer pointing out to wasteland "off you go". I was pretty stricken by the aggressive tone of the commenters.

I guess (and understand) you do want to protect something you care about so much, but when to draw a line.. Perhaps, shouldn't people just chill out? It's not like the artist cares too much that there are people who dislike them.

I just want to hear what you feel about fandoms and being a fan in general. Are you a devoted fan of something, or know a friend that is onw? Have had any contact with fandoms?

Wishing a lovely day,
Sebasty

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
9 Replies

hey I agree with you about what you said, I think that some fans go way to far, and that they need to learn to control what they are doing, I properly as superfan for Shawn Mendes but I follow his music and what he does but I know some other fans of him and they go over the top.

Ps. Some fans think thay they are better than the artists which are just rude.

Hey @K-I-M it's true!

About fans thinking they know better than artists themselves, it reminds me of a video.. This one: "The first guy to ever be a toxic fan" :')

I am rather annoyed to see fans trying to control-freak over what artists create. It's this "I wish he made the jazzy breaks instead of this aimless noise" and "he should go back to creating soundtracks, he was good at them" sort of thing. What they are really trying to do, despite their intention being not wanting to do so, is block the artist's creative growth (the first example) and limit the artist to a specific thing (second...).
Hat down to all artists who do their thing and stay true to themselves without following any advice, or caring too much about what others think of their work!

SebastySpotify Star

that last part u said is so true to what artists like to xdo, they should be able to do what they what, but as you said some annoying people block them

In my experience, I think the issue arises more so on social media where its just out and out disgusting how people behave eg: I've seen some fans of artists bullied because they don't like a particular song the artist has released, other fans will suggest that the "person probably wasn't a fan to begin with" or that the person should stream the song until she likes it or trashing an artist they don't like with rude remarks, I've taken to blocking a few of them.

Other than on social media, I've not really noticed that kind of attitude away from the internet. 

thats what i seem to get when i talk about artists i like and somebody just outright takes the mick of the artist, which i defo dont like

(digging my own content here)

Good point @crowdiegal, I also haven't seen this happen anywhere else than on social media. To be more specific... I only see it in fan communities and not in general music-centered communities which is interesting.

What do you think about fans making little gifts for the artists? Is it weird or not? 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

hey @Sebasty 

Well I think that I could become weird if it was done all the time but if it was one off that would be ok i think

@K-I-M 

I have a friend that does that sort of thing, a little gift every time they go to that artist's live show. It's rather.. frequent I'd say, but hey, as long as the artist doesn't mind.. :')

SebastySpotify Star

Hey

@Sebasty 

I don't think thats not weird, if the artist is ok with it, theres no problem, but if theres loads of fans doing it, it can be annoying

Suggested posts