Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Pop-Rock] The legendary girls - All Time

[Pop-Rock] The legendary girls - All Time

Hello !

Pop - Rock The legendary girls  ( All Time )

All girls who built the story we love

Pop, Rock, Blues, Soul, Rhythm and Blues, Etc......

Example

Janis Joplin - Cry Baby ( 1971 )

64 Replies

Over 870 tracks.

Over 45 hours of music.

Playlist "A Journey Into Female Vocalists (from 1960 to present)"

Best play shuffle 🙂

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello !

Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star ) - I'm Less Here ( 2014 )

Mazzy Star is an American alternative rock band formed in Santa Monica, California, in 1989 from the group Opal, a collaboration of guitarist David Roback and bassist Kendra Smith. Roback's friend Hope Sandoval became the group's vocalist when Smith left the band.

Helo !

Memphis Minnie - Frankie Jean ( That Trottin' Fool ) ( 1930's )

Lizzie Douglas (June 3, 1897 – August 6, 1973), known as Memphis Minnie, was a blues guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter whose recording career lasted from the 1920s to the 1950s. She recorded around 200 songs, some of the best known being "Bumble Bee", "Nothing in Rambling", and "Me and My Chauffeur Blues". Her performances and songwriting made her well known in a genre dominated mostly by men.
Lizzie Douglas was born on June 3, 1897 in Algiers, Louisiana. She was the eldest of 13 siblings. Her parents Abe and Gertrude Douglas nicknamed her "Kid" during her early childhood, and when she first began performing she played under the name Kid Douglas.

When she was 7 she and her family moved to Walls, Mississippi, a town a little to the South of Memphis. The following year she received her first guitar for Christmas, and learned to play banjo by the age of 10 and guitar by the age of 11

Hello !

Courtney Love with Hole - Babydoll ( Pretty On The Inside - 1991 )

Courtney Michelle Love (born Courtney Michelle Harrison, July 9, 1964) is an American alternative rock singer, songwriter, musician, actress, and visual artist. Prolific in the punk and grunge scenes of the 1990s as the frontwoman of Hole, Love became a fixture in alternative music, drawing public attention for her uninhibited stage presence and confrontational lyrics, as well as her highly publicized personal life following her marriage to Kurt Cobain.( Wikipedia )

Hello !

Debbie Harry ( Blondie ) - Denis (1978 )

Blondie is an American rock band founded by singer Debbie Harry and guitarist Chris Stein. The band was a pioneer in the early American new wave and punk scenes of the mid-1970s.

Hello !

Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog

Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton (December 11, 1926 – July 25, 1984) was an American rhythm and blues singer and songwriter. She was the first to record Leiber and Stoller's "Hound Dog" in 1952, which became her biggest hit. It spent seven weeks at number one on the Billboard R&B charts in 1953 and sold almost two million copies

( Wikipedia )

Hello !

Patti Smith - Space Monkey ( Easter - 1978 )

Patricia Lee "Patti" Smith (born December 30, 1946) is an American singer-songwriter, poet and visual artist who became a highly influential component of the New York City punk rock movement with her 1975 debut album Horses.
Called the "punk poet laureate", Smith fused rock and poetry in her work. Smith's most widely known song is "Because the Night", which was co-written with Bruce Springsteen and reached number 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1978  ( Wikipedia )

On the same album: Space monkey

Hello !

Joan Jett - I hate Myself For Loving you ( 1982 )

Joan Jett (born Joan Marie Larkin; September 22, 1958) is an American rock guitarist, singer, songwriter, producer and occasional actress, best known for her work with Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, including their hit record "I Love Rock 'n' Roll", which was No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 from March 20 to May 1, 1982, as well as for their other popular recordings including "Crimson and Clover", "I Hate Myself for Loving You", "Do You Wanna Touch Me", "Light of Day", "Love is All Around" and "Bad Reputation". She has three albums that have been certified Platinum or Gold, and has been a feminist icon throughout her career. She is considered by the Toronto Sun as the Queen of Rock ‘n Roll.( Wikipedia )

Hello !

Shirley ann Manson - Only Happy When It Rains( Garbage - 1995 )

Shirley Ann Manson (born 26 August 1966) is a Scottish singer, songwriter, musician and actress, best known internationally as the lead singer of the alternative rock band Garbage. For much of her international career Manson commuted between her home city of Edinburgh and the United States to record with Garbage; she now lives and works in Los Angeles. Manson gained media attention for her forthright style, rebellious attitude and distinctive voice ( Wikipedia )

Hello !

Amy Winehouse - You know i'm No Good ( Back To Black - 2006 )

Amy Jade Winehouse (14 September 1983 – 23 July 2011) was an English singer and songwriter known for her deep vocals and her eclectic mix of musical genres

Winehouse won three Ivor Novello Awards: in 2004, Best Contemporary Song for "Stronger Than Me"; in 2007, Best Contemporary Song again, this time for "Rehab"; and in 2008, Best Song Musically and Lyrically for "Love Is a Losing Game"
Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning on 23 July 2011. Her album Back to Black posthumously became the UK's best-selling album of the 21st century, at that point. In 2012, ( Wikipedia )

Hello !

Cat Power - Nude As The News (1996 )

Nude as the News" is a song by the American singer/songwriter, Cat Power (a.k.a. Chan Marshall). It is the fourth song on her 1996 album, What Would the Community Think. It was released as a single, and a music video shot entirely in black and white and directed by Brett Vapnek.

Hello !

Laurie anderson - Big science ( 1982 )

Laura Phillips "Laurie" Anderson (born June 5, 1947) is an American experimental performance artist, composer and musician who plays violin and keyboards and sings in a variety of experimental music and art rock styles. Initially trained as a sculptor, Anderson did her first performance-art piece in the late 1960s. Throughout the 1970s, Anderson did a variety of different performance-art activities. She became widely known outside the art world in 1981 when her single "O Superman" reached number two on the UK pop charts.

Laura Nyro doesn't quite enjoy the same name recognition as other singer-songwriters of the 60s and 70 like Joni Mitchell and Carole King. She wrote this song in 1966 and released it on her debut album the following year. Spotify doesn't have her debut but the song turns up on several compilations. It's hard to believe the soulful quality of the music she wrote at such a young age.

Here's a great little interview video with Todd Rundgren discussing the music of Laura Nyro.

One of my favorite tracks by the legendary Dusty Springfield

Gotta include Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart from my hometown of Seattle. It's hard to pick one song, but I think this fits the bill.

Bonus pick:

Lastly, this live performance with Foo Fighers on Letterman is worth checking out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qgdVZq1Pfk

With a thread title like "pop rock legendary women", it was only a matter of time before Aretha Franklin was mentioned. I've always liked this cut from her 1967 album "Aretha Arrives". Play loud.

Hello !

PJ Harvey - Missed ( Rid Of Me - 1993 )

Polly Jean Harvey, MBE (born 9 October 1969), known as PJ Harvey, is an English musician, singer-songwriter, writer, poet, composer and occasional artist. Primarily known as a vocalist and guitarist, she is also proficient with a wide range of instruments including piano, organ, bass, saxophone, harmonica and, most recently, the autoharp.

( Wikipedia )

Hello !

Sade

Helen Folasade Adu, OBE (Yoruba: Fọláṣadé Adú; born 16 January 1959), known as Sade is a British Nigerian singer, songwriter, composer, and record producer. Sade and her eponymous band released their debut album Diamond Life (1984), the album was a commercial success and sold over six million copies, becoming one of the top-selling debut recordings of the '80s and the best-selling debut ever by a British female vocalist.

""  

Hello !

Siouxsies And The Banshees

Siouxsie and the Banshees were an English rock band formed in London in 1976 by vocalist Siouxsie Sioux and bass guitarist Steven Severin. Initially associated with the English punk rock scene, the band rapidly evolved to create "a form of post-punk discord full of daring rhythmic and sonic experimentation".The Times cited Siouxsie and the Banshees as "one of the most audacious and uncompromising musical adventurers of the post-punk era."

""

Suggested posts