Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

AOTY 2020 Contenders...

AOTY 2020 Contenders...

Hi, guys, this is that time of the year when all the websites and music labels and everyone involved start presenting their Albums Of The Year, in my case I think this year I'm not going to do this exercise because I'm running out of time and even when I have my favorites and I could only take my weekly 9 suggestions that I posted every Sunday in my social media I think that´s not fair, this is something that you need to take seriously and I have not enough time to do it right. 

In case you want to take a look at my previous years here you have TOP 100 ALBUMS 2018 and  TOP 100 ALBUMS 2019 

But I can share with you and I want you to share with all of us your favorite albums this year bring your best of the best and in this way we can enjoy all the suggestions that we're capable to listen to.

So here I go with an album that I really enjoy, a big fan of the work of this legend and this one is simply for me his best work yet.

spotify:album:4BDskQQhVpsxax7WGOUJQQ 

Another one that is really incredible, a true gem that if you don't know them yet... need to listen to this album that works perfectly as an introduction to the work of this band.

spotify:album:1cJS5A69PL7RmfkrVn106W 

I'm going to stop here because I already want to see what are your favorites albums this year.

Cheers!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 14
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
2 Replies

Hi @Jpgchief, my favorite album from this year is probably Dead Star by King Buffalo:

https://open.spotify.com/album/61xzWO2b7xmrvLm4C3M36t?si=Dm3UjR1MSWmDCvQTCr1MFg

King Buffalo’s hypnotic groove and atmosphere on Dead Star always takes me on a pleasant journey. Dead Star's dynamic song structures and diverse range of musical influences (the album "basks in elements of ambient drone, space rock, prog, mantra-style heavy and synthesizer soundtracking, as well as the bluesy, classic riffing and creative urgency that has underscored their particular style," according to King Buffalo's website) really seem to push the boundaries of modern psychedelic/stoner rock. I also like how the synths play a more integral role here than on previous releases by King Buffalo, as I think they sound really cool.

In addition, I have particularly enjoyed listening to these three albums that were released this year as well, for which I have saved at least three tracks to my library:

Elder – Omens:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5bsWvIa3jrWZtWtcn58UBl?si=HqOfsQzpS2GbfIHwqYSuWw

Omens, like King Buffalo’s Dead Star, features more noticeable synths than on Elder’s previous releases, and I really like how they sound. Also, as with King Buffalo’s Dead Star, Elder’s progressive tendencies are quite evident on this 2020 release, and one of the tracks (“In Procession”) from Omens is currently in Spotify’s Prog Rock playlist. Like most other Elder songs that I’ve listened to, I always seem to enjoy hearing the epic melodies and riffs on the tracks from Omens.

Causa Sui – Szabodelico:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5feZyWjv5ToB9NEK6KbDfU?si=tNuITrrgSP6oF6vpHFbvYg

Inspired by the music of Hungarian jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo, Szabodelico is another of my favorite albums from this year. It sounds like relaxing, contemplative psychedelic rock with a noticeable jazz influence (and is entirely lyricless, Causa Sui being an instrumental band). While I sometimes miss the fuzz guitar tone present in some of their previous work, I really enjoy the calm, reflective atmosphere on this album.

Dopelord – Sign of the Devil:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0OAUdYp4p60l5C4mfNZMMk?si=yHCClXLnQh6s9KdR4xeBZA

Sign of the Devil is the 2020 release that I have listened to the most this year, according to last.fm. It’s pretty straightforward stoner/doom metal, one of my favorite genres of music. The sound manages to capture a feeling that is dark and bleak, yet also psychedelic; I really enjoy this atmosphere that Dopelord creates, as well as the heavy bass and fuzz guitar tones.

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Thanks, @AdamDam I only have listened to Omens and certainly one of the best this year, right now listening for first time Dead Star but need to say 16 minutes tracks caught my attention (you already know that I love Long, Long, Long Songs  by the way already added Red Star Pt 1 & 2). 

Also need to listen to the other albums I'm pretty sure that going to enjoy all three.  

Come on don't be shy and share your AOTY I would love to have good stuff to listen to these upcoming weeks.

Cheers!!!

JpgchiefRock Star 14

Suggested posts