Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issues with playing tunes outside of Liked Songs or playlists on the desktop app

Hey there,

We're aware of issues with playing songs outside of the Liked Songs collection or playlists.

This is being investigated.

Hi folks,

A few days have passed, so the latest version which includes the fix should now be available to everyone! You'll find more info on how to update the app in this article.

Once again thank you all for the collective effort in aiding us during the investigation. You're awesome!

Cheers!

Comments
sargasso

Hi Alex

The songs are not greyed out, they look normal. There are no error messages. The status bar resets to zero, the play button changes to a pause symbol but the progress bar doesn't move, stays at zero and nothing is played. Screenshot attached.

I can then go back to the home page and play a song from some of the playlists, for example I can play the "discover weekly" playlist but if I click on an artist in the playlist that artist's popular songs will then not play as above.

I have restarted the program, logged out, reinstalled umpteen times all to no avail. It's a really poor user experience so far and definitely not "premium".

Spotify no play.jpg
Carnaee

Hey Alex,

I'm currently running spotify version 1.1.94.872.g7a9200fe, on a Windows 10 machine.

pathtracer

This 'solution' DID NOT work for me. I am using a VPN, but even when changing server or disabling it entirely (ie, a fresh restart and fresh Spotify install without launching the VPN), the issue persists.

• I can play any song from any of my playlists
  • I can play any song from any playlist I have access to
  • I can play the songs even if I do so from their original album
  • I CANNOT play any other song that is not on one of my playlists - whether from search, auto-play, or the album itself
  • If I add a song to one of my playlists, it immediately becomes playable
  • If I then remove the song from said playlist, I can still play it UNTIL I close and re-open Spotify, at which point I cannot play it
  • I have no albums saved to my library, only playlists
  • If I add an album to my library, I still cannot play any song in it, unless that song also appears in at least one of my playlists
  • No new applications or system updates were installed between it working and not working
  • Disabling my VPN does not make it work (this would not be a solution even if it did work, requiring me to disable my VPN is unacceptable)
  • Changing server on my VPN does not make it work
  • Reinstalling Spotify does not make it work

This is getting a little ridiculous, it's been three months and I've only been able to play songs from albums/search intermittently on this PC. The ability to play them starts and stops intermittently, with no correlation to anything happening on my PC. It must be a server issue on Spotify's end.

Please un-mark this post as the solution, because it is not a solution in any way. This issue being tagged 'Solved' is very misleading.

Duma3421

Used my PC on an alternate network and still unable to play songs not on playlist.

Windows 10

Spotify for Windows
1.1.93.896.g3ae3b4f3

mouser_rumble

This issue is not solved--should not be marked as such. We should be able to play songs that are not in a playlist.

Alex

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info you've provided and your feedback.

We know this issue is serious and it's affecting a large number of users. Our tech folks are working on figuring out what might be causing this for the affected users and a fix.

Cheers.

igualo

Hi,

This started several weeks ago:-

I would search for a track, find it and attempt to play it... nothing happened the progress bar would go grey and... nothing.

I am also unable to add these tracks to the queue - it says "added to queue" but when you look at the queue - empty.

The work around I have been using is creating a temporary playlist adding the track to that and then adding it o the queue "et voila" it works. But a very clumsy way to manage.

More info: -

Windows 10 laptop

Solutions tried so far: -

Full clean re-install - no luck.

Having looked around the forums I have come across this fault occurring with people using a VPN but I am not using one.

I have the same problem no matter where I connect to the internet or using mobile data.

I had made no changes to the app I was aware of prior to this fault occurring.

I am now at a bit of a loss.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance Andrew

tallgirl13

My Question or Issue

Since the desktop update on Windows, I cannot play choose individual songs to play off of albums, nor can I play an album by clicking the green button at the top. Nothing happens, no matter how many times I click various versions of play buttons, in front of songs, at the top of the album page. If I click play on an individual song while a playlist is playing, my music stops entirely. This only happens in album pages and artist pages. 

GeirGrusom

This sounds very similar to an issue I have been having for over a month on my work computer. Spotify has basically been broken for a month.

Yordan

Hi folks!

Could you try liking a song or adding it to one of your playlists directly from the artist/album page to see if it would play then? Feel free to also let us know the troubleshooting you've done so far to avoid repeating the steps. It's worth reinstalling the app by following the steps in this article if you haven't already.

if you're using any VPN services on your laptop, try disabling them temporarily and then restarting the Spotify app.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!