Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcasts won't remain paused

Android users have reported that when they press pause on a podcast, the playback is automatically resumed shortly after.

This is under investigation.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We're happy to announce that this should now be fixed for everyone - just make sure you're running the latest version of Spotify.

If you're still having trouble you can post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Cheers 🤘

Comments
tvishy

Whenever I press button to pause the podcast playing spotify resumes playing the podcast after 1 or 2 seconds. I reinstalled the app and cleared the user data . After the phone rebooting the problem is still there. While playing just a music  there is no problem with pausing and resuming.

Jaymzz

That's right, I have the exact same problem, it only happens by listening to podcasts, It only stops when I force close the app, it's very annoying

mkhilario

I'm using Android 13 and Spotify Premium. It's maddening not being able to pause podcasts. I have to close the app to pause play. No issue when using Spotify connect or Spotify on my iPad. 

DeezerSoundsBetter

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Vasil

Hey @mkhilario,

Thanks for joining the thread!
To anyone with an Android device, please follow the steps for a clean reinstall here and let us know how the app behaves after that 🙂
In case the issue persists, we'll let the folks backstage know and we'll hopefully have this fixed promptly!

P.S. 
A clean reinstall would remove any songs saved locally for offline listening. They will re-download again, of course, but we do recommend being on Wi-Fi for this should your mobile data plan be less suitable for the task.

Keep us posted on how things go!

DeezerSoundsBetter

Sorry, I didn't make details clear. When I pause an audiobook or podcast it starts playing again immediately. But the odd thing is music pauses OK. It happens with bluetooth earbuds, wired IEMs and also on the phone's speakers. I have done a full clean reinstall 3 times (!) It's still not pausing audiobooks and podcasts. I am using a Samsung S23 Ultra on Android 14 which I "upgraded" to today. Spotify was doing the same thing on Android 13 yesterday. I have done a settings reset on the phone. Still the same problem.

OscarDC

Hey @DeezerSoundsBetter,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We appreciate all the details you included in your post. To continue investigating this issue, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it out.

It would also be great if you could have that same user log in with their account on your device to see if the issue persists. This will help us understand if it could be account-related or not.

Lastly, include in your next response the make, model, and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

rafael09ed

I am having the same issue. It applies when my phone is the audio source 

relm-zq_8vj3

Hello, I have the same problem of not being able to pause podcasts and tried your suggestion to no avail. I'm on Android 14 with Pixel 6 Pro

Cymbalik

I have also been having the same issue for weeks, troubleshooting steps did not work. I've tried other apps as well, it's only happening on spotify, podcasts only. I have a Samsung S23 Ultra 5G.