Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Professor_MC

I added my starred songs to the saved song list.  They now display when I click "Songs" under My Music.   If I go to an artist page or an album page for one of the songs I have saved the song does not have the check by it to show that it is in the saved song list.  So if I am looking at an artist page I can't see which songs I have already saved to My Music.  This happened to some but not all of the songs I moved over to the saved list.  Some songs appear twice on the Songs list even thought they only exist once in Spotify (no alternates exist).  This really messes up the utility of Saved music if it is possible to duplicate songes like a playlist rather than have it be a database of saved tracks.

Peter__
Have you tried logging out and back in again?

I've seen some issues too with multiple versions of tracks causing issues.

This exact same thing happens to me, it's extremely confusing. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Has anyone figured out a fix for this? Sometimes I notice it on deluxe albums that are no longer offered but I saved when they came out.

delae

Peter, that's exactly the problem: multiple track album version. Logging off and on will not solve this problem. And it's annoying.

F.e. I marked some tracks from this album as "Saved" some time ago: spotify:album:3uocz31s0fmZ8SRP1rCM8e

But it seems this album got replaced in the mean time by this version: spotify:album:7o8Pkxy7OmloQ1atWwlfBX

So when I navigate to this album using search, I won't see my "Saved" marks. This is not a exception. It occured already multiple times to me.

Please consolidate album versions if it's really the same album, or show different realeases if they really are different.

There's a similar request: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Consolidating-duplicate-tracks-which-appear-on-multip...

This has not been resolved yet (2016 already). It is confusing going into an artist and seeing your songs (which are actually saved) NOT checked... I have to go into my music and look up for the song to make sure I have it.

beaniehead

*BUMP*

Can this PLEASE be picked up by one the moderators and passed onto the dev team to find a way to patch this bug. It frustrates me so much, it renders the whole notion of having a saved library/collection useless. What is the point of this community or Spotify soundwave if Spotify doesn't deliver. Please rectify otherwise us premium users will have to leave 😞 

FYI, on my android this issue is not a problem, saved songs are indicated on artist pages and albums alike. 

It has to do with the way the songs are saved on the desktop client and also not unifying the metadata of 'apparently' different versions of albums/songs. 

jlmoriart

Same issue here. For a while I was saving entire albums that I thought I'd added, and had, but didn't show the check because they were different versions (or just different spotify addresses for whatever reason), and now I have to go through and delete TONS of songs/albums because I now have two versions in my library. Drives me nuts nuts nutty McNutterpants NutMeister and now, with lyrics gone, I have next to nothing to keep me paying..

felscorrea

Premium membership is getting useless with this non sense issue

kpwxx

I have the same problem and it drives me crazy.

As an example, my Your Top Songs 2016 playlist... all the tracks are saved in my Songs. And I know they are the same versions because the playlist is tracks I listen to most. Yet probably 10% of them, if not more, show as not being saved. They also don't have 'Saved' written in search results, and don't show as saved on the album/artist pages. Yet when I go to Songs they show up fine and have the tick.

It makes me nervous as I worry they could remove themselves from my Save list and I wouldn't notice. But I don't want to remove and re-add them to fix it because:
1. There are so many it would take hours and I wouldn't be able to find them all anyway
2. I like listening by date added and this would bump them all to the top.

For reference, I have the same issue on mobile and desktop, both at home and at work. I've attached screenshots to show the issue... all the same song.

I guess I shouldn't have much hope if this has been going on since 2014 and nothing has been done...

On Your Top Songs 2016

playlist.PNG

Normal Search

search.PNG

Filtering Songs
Songs.PNG

clutchi

Still not fixed. Even if the song is "unique" and not part of multiple albums. Got this issue on many tracks and it gets really confusing because i start to like songs multiple times and i got the same song (with the same id) in my Songs playlist.Unbenannt.PNG