Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] App crashing when playing podcasts with videos

Hey folks!

We've received reports (mostly from iOS users) that Spotify crashes when leaving the app and then returning to it while a video podcast is playing.

Leave a +VOTE if you're affected so that we can keep track of how many people are experiencing this.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Mr_AE86

Plan

Premium Family

Country

Canada

Device

IPhone 11

Operating System

iOS 15.4.1

My Question or Issue

When I am playing a podcast with a video, if I exit the app or shut my phone screen off, the app freezes for a couple of seconds and then restarts.

Uniquethevision

Same thing with my iPhone. Just started with most recent update I think. Every time I switch to another app and then try to switch back to Spotify, the podcast I’m watching freezes and app shuts down.

Yordan

Hi folks!

Does the issue persist when switching to a different network / turning on mobile data? You can try changing the video quality to see if it would have any effect on the app's behavior.

Make sure that you've also turned on Background App Refresh for Spotify? This can be done in your phone's Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Spotify.

Something else you can test is downloading an episode and setting the app into Offline Mode to see if the issue would still occur.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

Mr_AE86
The issue still persists when using mobile data or a different network.

Background refresh is on for Spotify, even disabled and re-enabled to make sure.

If I download the episode with video, it will play in the background without freezing/crashing, online or offline.

Is this a full solution?
Alex

Hi there @Mr_AE86,

Thanks for the post and the info you've shared.

Could you let us know if this is happening just with a specific podcast/ episode or any show you've tried? It would be great if you can send us a link to an episode which is having this issue for you, so we can try it on our end.

Cheers.

Mr_AE86
Thanks for the reply, It is happening with any podcast that has video along with the audio.

If I play a podcast with no video everything works fine.

Is there anyway to disable the video for the time being?(while on a network, and not just mobile data)
Wlennox

Same thing happening to me, fully updated phone and app. If I leave the Spotify app with a podcast playing that also has video, the app crashes when trying to open again every time. 

JoeHrabnicky

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 11 Pro

Operating System

iOS 15.4.1

My Question or Issue

Every time that I unlock my iPhone while listening to The Joe Rogan Experience, the app freezes and then crashes. Once I close out the app manually, return to the app, and hit play to continue listening, it starts playing from a miscellaneous spot in the podcast that I had already listened to. I've tried it with a couple other podcasts and have not had the same issue. I'm not sure if it's the length of the podcast or the fact that it has an associated video that's causing the issue, but I do believe it's unique to TJRE

Stuman24

Same things happening to me 

Dian

Hey folks,

Thank you all for the posts.

Can anyone provide a video recording of the issue's occurrence so we can have an exact idea of what is going on on your end? 

We'd also need the model and exact iOS version of your device together with the version of Spotify you have installed.

It is also important to make sure you have the background app refresh turned on for Spotify as @Yordan mentioned and that you don't have the battery saving mode on.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!