Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Payment failed" red banner showing despite payments being successful.

We've received some reports of customers getting a notification on their mobile app "Payment Failed: We were unable to charge you. To keep Premium, update your payment method ASAP." despite payment being successful or being part of Premium Family or Premium Duo.

1.png

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! The message should only appear if your latest payment was actually unsuccessful. Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
PMgep

None of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it I will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Sony G8341 and Doro 8100

Operating System

Android 9 and Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since a week or so, my Android app keep showing Payment failed warning, but when I check on my account here (https://www.spotify.com/us/account/overview/) I can see that payment was processed as expected. I have had my premium account for many many years, and I haven't done any changes, or changed credit card lately. 

Seen on all my Android devices. Logging out and back does not solve it, reinstalling the app does not solve it.

Capture_spotify.PNG
Spootifyyy

Same problem.. it’s saying the money has been removed from the account but the premium isn’t activating even after I logged out and logged back in..

Lyubka

Hey there folks,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

@PMgep, As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still getting this error? On another note, can you access your Premium features? 
In any case, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app to get rid of any cached files that might be causing issues with the app's performance on your device. You've mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but this one is more thorough than the usual one. 

@Spootifyyy, we believe that your issue might be a bit different than the original post. By saying that Premium isn't activated even after paying,  you got us thinking that you might be logged into another account that doesn’t have Premium. Can you please double check that you've activated it on this account? Here are the steps that you'll need to follow in order to check if you have another Spotify account?

Let us know how it goes.

PMgep
HI, I'm still seeing this, and I'm also seeing this when I do a clean
install on a fresh device. I can access all premium features, I have local
playlists on my phone, and can play them as I want.
Alex

Hi there @PMgep,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please try logging in with your account on another phone to see if you get the same error message. You can also try logging in with a free account for test purposes on your device to see if the message appears.

This way we can narrow down if the issue is account or device related.

Cheers.

PMgep
Hi,

I see this on all my devices, even one where Spotify have never been
installed before.
Lyubka

Hey @PMgep,

Thanks for getting back to us!

We'd suggest to try entering the details of the same payment method again in this link. 

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

PMgep
Hi,

Thank you, that seemed to solve the issue. Are there two different pages to
enter payment info, because I had already updated it once.

Anyways, I don't see the issue on any of my devices now.

Thanks!
OscarDC

Hey @PMgep,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We're glad to know that everything is working fine now. We appreciate the time you took following the process and sharing what works for you. 

In case you need anything else, remember that we're just a post away.

Cheers!

ksfbys
I am currently a member of Premium Duo and my partner has already paid for this month. Her premium account is already working but mine is not. Whenever I open my Spotify app, the first thing that pops up is 'Update payment' and I can't click anything else. When I click update payment, it says 'You already have Premium'. If Spotify acknowledges that I already have a premium account, why can't I access it? What should I do about this?

Note: My account works on my laptop but not my phone. Why is the payment not reflected on my phone? I can't even click on anything.