Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alexa voice command wont play "liked" songs anymore

Alexa voice command wont play "liked" songs anymore

Plan: Premium

Device

(echo dot)

At first, Alexa had no problem playing my "liked" songs on spotify. This is the list spotify automatically makes and adds to when you "heart" a song. Starting today, it could no longer play my "liked" songs.

However, it CAN play my "good songs" playlist that I manually created. It also plays the "my shazam tracks" playlist that gets created automatically when you use the shazam app to identify music.

But for some reason, it decided it no longer wants to play the "liked" songs playlist. No matter which way I ask....it just doesnt work. It worked flawlessly for the first week or so.

When I say, "Alexa, play my liked songs from spotify".

Alexa says, "I am having trouble playing from spotify, please try again".

I have reset my echo dot, I have disabled and enabled the spotify skill. Nothing. 

Again this was working when I first got my echo dot last week. But all of a sudden, a week later, it doesnt want to play the "liked" songs via voice command.

11 Replies

This apparently continues to be an issue, I've checked everything Spotify has recommended and still nothing.  I have to go to Spotify app, play "Liked Songs" and THEN ask Alexa to "Play Spotify".  As long as Spotify is playing the desired playlist Alexa will continue what's playing.  

It is EXTREMELY frustrating that you can't just ask Alexa to "Play my Liked Songs".....And Spotify just keeps giving the same response.  Check your country, login/logout, uninstall/reinstall, enable/disable...….how bout Spotify just fixes their **bleep**.  It's been well over a year if not two now. I have the premium family plan and it just frustrates me to no end that you can't do this.  

Hi folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Given that Alexa is able to play other playlists without any issues, it seems that she's just having a hard time figuring out exactly which playlist you'd like to play. Could you try the following commands to see if they do the trick: "Alexa, play my Liked Songs on Spotify" or "Alexa, play my liked songs playlist (on Spotify)".

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have tried several variations of that command and none of them work.  I know she hears the command properly, because she will reply with "Playing your Liked Songs on Spotify".....and then nothing plays....every single time....every variation I've tried.  If the command has ANYTHING to do with the "Liked Songs" on Spotify NOTHING plays...EVER.  I have yet to hear anyone say that they have this fixed, or see a thread anywhere that has a fix.  But there are countless threads on Spotify support, as well as on Google confirming this issue.  This has been an issue for me for about 2 years now, and every couple months I jump on to see if there are any fixes...and nothing.  

I'm having the same issue, although mine has been fine for 2+ years when I say "Alexa, play my liked songs on Spotify", as of yesterday, it's not working. It will play playlists and individual songs, but not the liked songs, which is most ridiculous as no one would ask a streaming service to play one individual song after another. And it's also silly to add all of one's liked songs to a playlist. I noticed this before I did an update to Spotify as well as after. 

Please provide solutions

Hey @lafroptimiste,

Sorry to see this has happened to you.
Would you mind changing the default music source of your Alexa :?
Try playing something and then switch back to Spotify to see if your issue gets resolved 🙂
We'll be on the lookout for your response!

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I am also having the same issue. I have tried everything! The liked songs playlist will not connect to the Alexa studio via voice command or manually through the Spotify app "connect to device". Other playlist will work fine both via voice command and manually. 

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

Could you make sure the country in the Amazon account and the country in the Spotify account match?

Let us know if that's the case,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I am having this same issue. I'm using a Samsung Z fold 4 and echo show 8th gen. Both accounts are registered in the same country. Why hasn't spotify been able to fix this issue? I've been looking and it goes back several years now and no fix from spotify

Hey @I_am_Gr00t,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared. 

In this case, would you mind sharing with us all the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? That way we'll avoid repeating any steps 🙂

On another note, we'd suggest making sure your Spotify account is set as default in your Alexa app, so you don’t have to say “on Spotify” at the end of your voice commands. You can do this by following the steps you find in this article.

Lastly, it might be worth to check if you're using the right voice commands. In this article you can find all of them, so we'd suggest you give a look at them. 

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Sorry, Just got around to checking back in on this. I have done everything I can think of as far as troubleshooting goes. Unlink/Relink, Clear cache and data for the apps, uninstall/reinstall. I researched this pretty thoroughly and took all the steps that I saw or could think of myself. Spotify is the default music app and I know I have used the right voice commands, both with and without "on spotify" and with and without "my" liked songs. If I ask alexa to play my liked songs it responds with "Here are your liked songs on spotify" or something to that effect and then there is nothing. I have even tried the earlier mentioned fix of starting it on the app on my computer and then trying to connect to the echo show but it can never connect when I do it that way.

Hey @I_am_Gr00t,

Thanks for getting back to us with that info.

We're sorry to hear the troubleshooting steps you've tried didn't help. To make sure this isn't an account issue, can you please try connecting a different Spotify account (by a friend or a family member) to your Amazon account and check if the issue persists?

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts