Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] BUG: Certain playlists when shuffled always keeps the ten first songs on top

[Other] BUG: Certain playlists when shuffled always keeps the ten first songs on top

Hey!

There are multiple threads on how the shuffle function is "broken", and while I believe this might be partly true - Spotify having implemented an algorithmic shuffle function that is less than good for users - I believe I am experiencing a bug with the shuffling function. 

For certain Spotify-created playlists, when playing them shuffled, the shuffled order keeps the first ten listed songs and shuffles internally between these, and then the rest of the playlist. 

The following table highlights the issue. In the first column is the row indexes on what number the song has in the shuffle order. The second, third, and forth column lists the songs, tagged by its placement in the "Custom order" the playlist is presented in.

It clearly shows that when you shuffle the order, the first ten songs played will always be the first ten songs at the top of the playlist, and after the first ten songs are played, the songs are more "truly" shuffled. 

Queue

Shuffle 1

(song nr # in the playlist “custom” order

Shuffle 2

Shuffle 3

1 (currently playing)

Now, I truly hope this isn't intentional, as it is very annoying and extremely unfair (and should be highlighted to artists that Spotify intentionally discriminates which artists will be played more or less), and that it instead is a bug. Another reason why I believe this is a bug is because it doesn't apply to all playlists. There are some who show this behaviour every time I play them, and others who never show this behaviour. 

This is seen both on iOS and Desktop. Marked as Other, as this is an issue not relating to the categories listed.

0 Replies

Suggested posts