Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast Queue Makes No Sense (out of order / plays already played episodes)

Podcast Queue Makes No Sense (out of order / plays already played episodes)

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Huawei P20, Desktop PC

Operating System

Android 9, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I started regularly listening to podcasts at the end of summer, 2020. I had listened to them on and off before, but this is when I started listening enough to notice this issue.

The queue automatically generated by Spotify when I'm listening to podcasts makes zero sense. It often includes episodes I've already listened to and otherwise jumps around with no discernable rhyme or reason. This, on top of no longer being able to sort episodes on the desktop player, is extremely annoying when I am working on catching up on a series. For example, I am currently working my way through "Behind the Bastards" in order, and I have gotten to episodes launched in August, 2019; every time I click away from the episode list on my computer, though, I have to scroll all the way down to find these older episodes since the option to sort has been removed. Now for the queue problem, I am currently listening to an episode that was released August 20, 2019 and is part four of a seven part series within the show. The next episode should be part five from August 21, part six from August 22, and so on. The release dates of the next 10 in the queue order Spotify generated are as follows:

1. 08/20/2019 (currently listening)
  2. 04/14/2020
  3. 07/21/2020
  4. 01/07/2020
  5. 09/10/2020
  6. 03/10/2020
  7. 02/06/2020
  8. 02/01/2021
  9. 07/30/2019 (already listened)
  10. 07/09/2019 (already listened)

The queue continues on in this ridiculous order that makes no sense and makes it difficult to listen to an entire series in order.

5 Replies

Hey there @jryesterday

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community, and welcome 🙂

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Novy,

This response doesn't actually address any of my issues.

Hey @jryesterday

Thanks for getting back to us. 

At the moment it's not possible to sort the podcast episodes, so we'd recommend following the steps in our previous reply in order to post this as an idea. 

Regarding the seven part series, could you send over a link to it so we can take a better look?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

My issue is that sorting podcast episodes used to be available on desktop, and I don't understand why anyone would think it was a good idea to remove that feature.

The seven part series I referenced is just a handful of sequential episodes in the podcast I am working my way through. The nonsensical queue order is an issue with every episode of the podcast, as most are at least two parts. The link to the podcast is below.

https://open.spotify.com/show/0rOatMqaG3wB5BF4AdsrSX?si=7ziIOSdsR5W7C6jaLwGkTg

Hey there @jryesterday,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We can see that you're in the test group of our New Desktop Experience which we're currently rolling out. We are aware that this new app version is missing some features that used to be available on the desktop app and our tech teams are working hard on fixing those as soon as possible.

You're welcome to leave any feedback you have related to this update in the thread here. Our developers are taking everything that's being shared in there under consideration, so any suggestions you have to improve the new experience will be greatly appreciated.

Hope this info is useful. We'll be here if you need help with anything else.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts