Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium account and Sonos - spotify has been paused because account is used somewhere else

Premium account and Sonos - spotify has been paused because account is used somewhere else

I keep getting the error message "spotify has been paused because account is used somewhere else" whenever I attempt to playying music on my computer while the kids are on Spotify.

This should not be a problem with a premium account, should it?

This question may have been on this forum before, in that case I appologize.

What is the limit to number of devices playing at the same time with a premium account?

Thanx!

33 Replies

I agree with you. I've contacted Sonos support and they was not aware of the change in policy from Spotify.

Any idea of alternative music services that allows multiple streams to Sonos? Besides the internet radio channels of course ....

It is quite annoying, I learned of this new restriction yesterday while running with an offline playlist. At home they were listening to the Sonos, whenever either of us unknown to the other hit play it would stop the other and nobody could figure it out.

I plan to contact Spotify support since I pay them, it just made my Spotify Premium account a little less worth it. Now I need either a second account, to buy music or something else.

@marvelmaster wrote:

I agree with you. I've contacted Sonos support and they was not aware of the change in policy from Spotify.

Any idea of alternative music services that allows multiple streams to Sonos? Besides the internet radio channels of course ....

It works for me again. The day after i wrote.

@davidpitkin wrote:

It is quite annoying, I learned of this new restriction yesterday while running with an offline playlist. At home they were listening to the Sonos, whenever either of us unknown to the other hit play it would stop the other and nobody could figure it out.

I plan to contact Spotify support since I pay them, it just made my Spotify Premium account a little less worth it. Now I need either a second account, to buy music or something else.

This however is playing via two different entities, if you consider Sonos (with multiple simultanously streaming on the same IP address) as one entity. I have also seen that starting Spotify on another device will stop the streaming on Sonos (and vice versa). I personally find that compliant with their terms of use. 

@Gaub wrote:
This however is playing via two different entities, if you consider Sonos (with multiple simultanously streaming on the same IP address) as one entity. I have also seen that starting Spotify on another device will stop the streaming on Sonos (and vice versa). I personally find that compliant with their terms of use. 

I totally agree it is compliant, it's just a strange result of having a family or house Sonos integration and an offline personal playlist on a mobile device. Everyone Spotify included is figuring out how to make it all work. I don't think its worth another $120/year to save me the trouble the once and a while we might both try to play Spotify music. It does just mean that music we listen to a lot we will now buy to avoid this, which again just lessens the value of my personal Spotify paid account or I can just turn off the network on offline playlist device.

I indeed encountered the same issue and the sad thing is that this multi-user spotify feature on the same sonos network was sold by sonos.

I believe that sonos will also see a decline in sales if this is not solved; I at least will tell my friends that it does not work and also consider stopping my account after investing quite some money both in spotify and sonos equipment

I was listening to my Spotify Premium account on my droid 4 at work like usual today and my music stopped suddenly. A notification said, "Spotify has been paused because account is used somewhere else". I pushed play and my music played again immediately however, this concerns me. I only have spotify on my laptop at home and i clearly was not there. Who was this other person using my account somewhere else? How do i know someone didn't hack into my account somehow? Is there a way to see your activity and/or a list of devices using this service (like facebook now does)?

If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm super paranoid about people hacking into my account since it has been done before.

If you think your account might have been compromised, then change your password as soon as possible and drop a post onto this topic and a member of the Spotify team will perform a force logout of all of your devices. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi, I am playing my spotify only in my computer and it stops all the time with the sign your account is being played somewhere else.

Why? I am only playing from my computer. Does anybody know what's wrong? Is someone hacking my spotify or what?

@CHIARO wrote:

Hi, I am playing my spotify only in my computer and it stops all the time with the sign your account is being played somewhere else.

Why? I am only playing from my computer. Does anybody know what's wrong? Is someone hacking my spotify or what?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You do normally only get that error when your account is being used in two places, so if it is not you I strongly suggest you change your password as a security precaution and then drop a post over on the someone else using my account topic and a member of the Spotify team will be able to log you out from all active sessions. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you Peter. I'll do that.

It is sort of a pain, but there is a workaround.  One of the listeners will have to download the playlist they are listening to and go to offline mode.  Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.brycecooley.com/how-to-use-one-spotify-account-multiple-people/.

Hope this helps.

This is an exceptionally aggravating problem with Spotify on Sonos.  I'll be looking for an alternate streaming source.  It's amazing that Spotify hasn't sorted this out by now.  People have been reporting it for literally years.

I have 3 different premium spotify accounts connected to my sonos speakers.  When any of the 3 accounts if playing from the Sonos it will pause my spotify playback elsewhere (mobile or PC) saying the account is in use elsewhere.  Even when its not the same account being used on the sonos.  Any ideas? Solutions? 

Suggested posts