Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect stopped working with Pioneer XW-SMA1's

Solved!

Spotify Connect stopped working with Pioneer XW-SMA1's

As of today Jan. 31 2018, Spotify Connect on Windows desktop and Android apps stopped working with two Pioneer XW-SMA1's. They show up as available devices, but the apps don't connect to them. A couple of Sonos devices and a Rocki work fine.

Windows Desktop version: 1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73 (Windows Store version)

Android version: 8.4.38.621.armV7

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Might wanna check out this link. It says for pioneer that you can only connect over Bluetooth now. Sorry to tell you this. If you want to check out, which speakers do connect with Spotify you can see that through this link. Sorry again.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

i guess you could use a chromecast audio and plug it in the AUX IN of the pioneer.

This way it would still be "usable" with Spotify Connect. But it's indeed a shame that they removed/disabled the builtin feature

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Might wanna check out this link. It says for pioneer that you can only connect over Bluetooth now. Sorry to tell you this. If you want to check out, which speakers do connect with Spotify you can see that through this link. Sorry again.

Thank you for your reply.

With regards to the link you shared, it's undated. When was the removal of Spotify integration for those devices announced?

And it is terrible way to treat customers. I bought these devices because they supported Spotify Connect, and now they are just paperweights, since they don't support Bluetooth.

I was looking for the date on it too, but while looking I found a story where Spotify said they were going to end their relation with Pioneer soon and that was in September, so it had some time coming. Also if that was the answer you were looking for please mark it as solution. At least you have clarification on your problem.

If you want BT, check out a BT adapter. They're relatively cheap on Amazon. I bought a JetTech, only problem with it is it very finicky to get it to play while plugged in to power.

If I didn't have a workaround with my Fire TV I would cancel my subscription right now. But I hate ads. I will never buy a device that says "Connects to Spotify" again. Spotify will never block BT if they want to stay in business.

Marked as solution

I found this other page from Pioneer. It's dated September 28, 2017: "As of December 31, 2017, Spotify integration will be terminated by Spotify on certain 2012 - 2014 Pioneer products." It seems I got a repreive until January 31, 2018.

It is a **bleep**ty way to deal with customers, both by Spotify and Pioneer. Not only does it obsolete a product you bought because of it's Spotify Connect feature, it makes you think repeatedly before buying a new product, because the feature may be disabled in the future.

It should be forbidden that they simply discontinue a service a bought product came advertised with.

I agree. It's inmoral, and there probably are alternative solutions, like upgrading firmwares, for example.

XW-SMA1 user here..

Spend two days on it fingering out why it was not working anymore.

Time to stop my Premium account.

No speaker support = No Spotify!

Marked as solution

i guess you could use a chromecast audio and plug it in the AUX IN of the pioneer.

This way it would still be "usable" with Spotify Connect. But it's indeed a shame that they removed/disabled the builtin feature

Thanks for the idea. I've plugged in something similar: an old Rocki streamer that still works with Spotify.

Spent few days debugging my WiFi network and finally googled to find this. 

This is shameful on Spotify and Pioneer. 

Customers should never be treated this way. 

I have have two units XW-SMA1 and XW-SMA3 now both are expensive paperweights. 

I'm in the same boat. Two Pioneer SMA-1s that now won't connect to Spotify. I'll probably buy two Chromecast Audio but I am not happy about it. Why can't the spotify app can't just play nicely with any DLNA receiver? 

*** **bleep** YOU SPOTIFY!!!!***

Suggested posts