Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify blocking MP3s I own from being played

Spotify blocking MP3s I own from being played

This has now happened multiple times.

I add my own MP3s to Spotiofy, but it blocks them. It happened with Taylor Swift's album. Every few months all her songs will disappear from my playlists on desktop and mobile even though the links are to MP3s I own. I deal with this.

Recently, I backed a Kickstarter which meant I got an album early. I added it to Spotfy. Spotify refuses to play the MP3. Is this because the album isn't technically "released" on Spotfy? Ahem, Spotify, I didn't steal these. They're mine. No one asked you.

Then, today, I got the mp3s from the masters of an album I'm featured on. It doesn't come out until November. Again, I don't have the MP3s illegally. They're literally my creations and yet, Spotify is blocking them.

A) This sucks.

B) It's a shady overreach into assuming I don't have the rights to the files I'm trying to play.

C) It's obviously almost always wrong. At least in my case.

D) I'm paying for Spotify. Cut it out.

2 Replies

I had a similar issue previously. Be sure that you have placed the .mp3 files in your Music folder ('My Music' on Windows XP). This should bring your local music up in 'Local Files', which you can then place into playlists and listen to.

If you'd prefer to have your .mp3 files stored elsewhere, go to the 'Edit' menu and click 'Preferences'. Scroll down ultil you see 'Local Files' and click 'Add Source'. You can then specify a folder that you'd like Spotify to look in for new .mp3 files. Again, new music placed into this folder will appear in 'Local Files' which you can then drag into a playlist.

Lol, Windows XP?!?!

MP3s work fine.

For instance, the album I was featured on a single has been released on Spotify. I can play that MP3 and it's in the same folder, but Spotify is blocking all the other unreleased songs from that release. It's quite obvious what they're doing.

Suggested posts