Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not always scrobbling local files to last.fm.

Solved!

Spotify not always scrobbling local files to last.fm.

When I listen to any online tracks in the spotify catalogue it scrobbles perfectly fine. But when I use my own local files on my laptop it seemingly scrobbles at random. i.e. Some tracks are scrobbled while others are not.

It used to work perfectly fine so I assume it was an update which changed this behaviour.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Bluegorilla101

Right, I had this issue as well. Thought that it was just me, or by now the issue would be solved. It's not solved yet and last.fm staff recommends the internal scrobbling instead of the app.

I went to read about this issue, and found this Issue thread. It says this should be solved for Spotify desktop client version 1.0.77.

Funnily enough I'm on the respectible version. I suggest trying reinstall if you're facing this issue too. Check this article on how to.
If you're on Windows, it's possible to do clean reinstall that removes all Spotify files prior to install.

According to the tread, turning on crossfade solves the issue.

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @Bluegorilla101

Your observations are quite correct here too, it drops some scrobbles. Last.fm is connected within Spotify settings.

I recommend trying out the Spotify Scrobbler app (find it in your last.fm preferences). Maybe it works better.
Note: you may have to disconnect last.fm in Spotify preferences, otherwise you may get double scrobbles.

Keep me posted on how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hey, thanks for responding. I just tested out the last.fm spotify application and while it does scrobble tracks in spotify's catalogue perfectly well. It doesn't seem to scrobble any local files at all. I guess they haven't added that feature yet? So I guess I'm going to continue with spotify's implementation for now (as some is better than none).

Marked as solution

@Bluegorilla101

Right, I had this issue as well. Thought that it was just me, or by now the issue would be solved. It's not solved yet and last.fm staff recommends the internal scrobbling instead of the app.

I went to read about this issue, and found this Issue thread. It says this should be solved for Spotify desktop client version 1.0.77.

Funnily enough I'm on the respectible version. I suggest trying reinstall if you're facing this issue too. Check this article on how to.
If you're on Windows, it's possible to do clean reinstall that removes all Spotify files prior to install.

According to the tread, turning on crossfade solves the issue.

SebastySpotify Star

Thanks alot. I set crossfade to 0 seconds and now it's all scrobbling (atleast so far).

Hi Sebasty/1185903410.

Does this answer still apply?

I've noticed on the r/lastfm subreddit and on here that lots of people are having issues with Local Files not scobbling when listening through Spotify.

When I try this the tracks come up as though they are about to scrobble, however when the song ends it isn't documented in the Recent Tracks list.
Last week this worked fine for me, then suddenly everything from Spotify stopped scrobbling. So I disconnected and reconnected using the In-App scrobbler in my Last.fm preferences, and although this did fix Scrobbling for steamed song, the issue still remains with local files.

Will reinstalling, using the Latest Microsoft store version of Spotify (as suggested) fix it and get Local files to scrobble again? or has this function been removed entirely now? If so that's really annoying. - The primary reason I use Last.fm is to document what I listen to, that's going to be significantly impacted as I have lots of Local files on Spotify that I listen to regularly in playlists.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

- Aaron

You can still see the "Scrobbling now" track with yellow background in the Recent Tracks list on your Last.fm profile, but that is rather misleading, because the scrobble will not get submitted anymore and simply disappear while the next track is shown as "Scrobbling now". So please use the new Last.fm feature in your applications settings instead and not the internal scrobbling option in your Spotify apps.

If you feel "nerdy", you might try the prerelease version 1.17 of the Last.fm Scrubbler desktop app for Windows which has a new Spotify scrobbling option. You have to run it parallel to the Spotify desktop app and connect to your Last.fm and Spotify accounts via the app. Local files do scrobble, but do not recognise the album info, just artist and track. And it stops after a Spotify ad, but if you are a Premium user, you don't get any ads anyhow.

Crossfade does not work for me. Local files are not being scrobbled. I have Spotify version 1.0.80.474 and am using the last.fm "Spotify Scrobbling" option in preferences. I tried disabling it and enabling the scrobbling straight from Spotify, but then it stopped scrobbling at all.

In all cases I can see the song in last.fm and its status is "Scrobbling now".

Any other ideas?

Hey @teh_macho

The internal scrobbling for Spotify (version 1.0.80 and above) is broken. It was capable of scrobbling local files.

The Spotify Scrobbling app does not support local files at this moment. I also see the "Scrobbling Now" status for any local file I play, but it won't stay there.

If you feel like tinkering, you can try out the Last.fm Scrubbler - the newest version is capable of scrobbling local files.

Do check out the Issues section in Github if you run into problems. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

But if I'm using the last.fm "Spotify scrobbling" is it still using the same internal Spotify scrobbler? I thought last.fm connects to my spotify account and gets the data.

Thanks for the suggestion.

@teh_macho

No, it's a separate app. They both connect to Spotify in some way, but there's a difference:

The internal scrobbling is specifically for this one client.

Spotify Scrobbling app connects to your Spotify account and scrobbles your listening across all platforms Spotify is supported on.

You can disable scrobbling in Spotify's settings (that setting is for internal scrobbling), and scrobbling still works because the scrobbler app is allowed to access your Spotify account.

Let me  know if you have more questions 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts