Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify play-to devices not showing after router change

Spotify play-to devices not showing after router change

Hi all, a question for the tech heads among you.

I have an annoying network problem and I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas. I've recently had to replace my mesh Wi-Fi router as the old system died. The system is set up as...

1) Starlink router (in bypass mode so I can use my own router)
2) Netgate security appliance (on 192.168.1.1)
3) Netgear Orbi mesh router

The Netgear Orbi has two networks, the main one on the 10.0.0 IP range and a guest network it's put on 192.168.2... and the problem has only occurred since installing this new system.

None of my Spotify apps, not on Android or on Windows see any of the devices I use, these are a mix of Bose and Amazon smart speakers. A very few of the devices appear in the devices list, all of which are plugged into the network by Ethernet, but Spotify can't connect to any.

I also can't play Spotify by saying "Alexa, play Spotify" as it says it will and then nothing happens. The clue I got was that in this very small list of some of the devices the Spotify apps can see, these change depending on which of the two Wi-Fi networks I connect to.

Thus, and because absolutely everything else on my internet connection and home network is working perfectly, I believe the problem is something to do with Spotify being unhappy about the guest network (all my IoT devices and smart speakers are connected to it for reasons of basic security).

This is because previously on the old router, the guest network was also assigned to the 10.0.0 range as the separate IP addressing for the guest network wasn't a feature at the time it was made.

What I think I can safely say isn't causing the issue is the firewall on the new router blocking devices or ports, as all other functions on the smart speakers work perfectly and it's the speaker, not the installed app on the speaker, that determines which ports on the network to use.  It's really bugging me.

I'm wondering what you all think of this? Thanks.
1 Reply

Hey @mikeaspatrick,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

In order for the app to recognize the available devices, all of them must be connected to the same exact network. Since your router assigns different IP addresses to the networks, it's not possible for the app to detect all of the devices. 

In this case, if it's not possible to change the IP addresses of your router, we'd suggest connecting all the devices (speakers, phone and PC) to the same "guest network" to see if it makes any difference. If the issue persists, it'd be good to do the setup again, but having the mobile device and the speakers connected to the exact same network.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts