Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Player not playing music (Firefox)

Solved!

Web Player not playing music (Firefox)

I am trying to figure out why music will not play on the Web Player.  I am using Firefox, mainly because while I usually use IE, I'm now getting a "Enable Player in your browser" message all of the sudden.  I tried downloading what it says, but since a work computer I cannot download as a non-admin...so flipped over to Firefox.

When I select music and hit the Play arrow, nothing happens, the Play arrow still remains (instead of changing to the Pause symbol) and the song time does not change, just sits there at 0:00.

I have viewed a couple troubleshooting threads but none of that stuff works.  Rebooted twice, deleted Spotify cookies, etc. 

Any recommendations on how to fix?  For music right now I have reverted to Pandora, which I don't particularly like (plus since I'm PAYING for Spotify, I'd like that to work correctly). 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on fixing this.  PS I cannot download the Player onto my PC, I.T. always deletes it when I do.  So I am stuck with the Web Player which normally works fine, but not now.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, I may have had the same problem as you (for me Chrome/FireFox/Opera not working, but Edge was working). I was able to fix the problem by following @thepest solution here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Web-Player-not-working-in-Chrome-b...

It's as if the browser/web player is, for lack of a better term, "stuck". With the web player open, I played music with the Spotify app on my phone, clicked Devices Available on the bottom of the app, and then switched it to Spotify Web Player. The browser/web player started playing like normal again, as if it got "unstuck". If it's indeed the same problem, worst case you might need to fiddle with different devices playing back to the web player (and vice versa, also might need to close and reopen web player) to get it working again.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Though I cannot help with this issue I am having the same problem with my chromebook. This laptop was given to me by my school and I can't download Spotify onto my computer, so I've decided to use the web player instead. Whenever I'm in class the web player won't play music but it will when I'm at home. My friend is able to use the web player on the same computer with no issue.

Hi berne1007, I'm having pretty much the same problem, except my arrow DOES change to the two parallel lines but, like you, still nothing -- no movement, no action, no nothing.  Everything seems perfect but, no sound.

Anyone else know of how to fix this?  Would be appreciated...

Hi @berne1007

I honestly don't know why the web player refuses to work in some situations, but I heard one could use the desktop player installed on a flash drive.
You'd need a portable drive for that. Download and install Spotify, or if you're at home, go to %appdata%. Spotify's folder is there. Copy it and paste it to the external.
Now, after you're done, you should be able to boot it by going into the folder and opening SpotifyLauncher.exe.
It did work for me, I just tried. Only problem is that I have a very old version of the program, which in some reason I'm not arsed to update. But I don't really see why it wouldn't work... :?

@dorianglass Did you check the volume settings? I may end up having 5 Firefox-related volume sliders, maybe one is muted.
Tried deleting cookies/cache too?

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Txs for your reply @abern1007, appreciated.
My primary computer is a Lenovo T520 running Win's 7 Pro, 64-bit. My secondary netbook is an Acer Aspire One running win's 10 Home, 64-bit.
Both systems are not able to get the web version of Spotify to work. Both systems are able to log into Spotify perfectly and access all of one's music, whether playlists, or, the like. However, when it comes to clicking the "arrow" to play ... well, nothing happens. Most weird.
I don't think the solution "should" be to need to run Spotify from a flash drive-unnecessary, extra "stuff" to need to content with.

I'm sure that the reason for this (esp. given the many folk that are also experiencing this issue) is, firstly, most likely a simple one, and, secondly, does need to be resolved, which I am sure the brainy guys behind Firefox / Spotify are busy sorting out. Hopefully, anyhow. 🙂

There's a "quirk" here: my Spotify desktop app works perfectly, on both computers. Hmm ... something quirky here...

So, as mentioned, this is most likely something simple ... a simple configuration, etc. One just needs to use some logic as to how to identify it.

Surely?
To your questions:
- Yes, checked the volume sliders ... all are above "0"
- Deleted cookies / cache
- Network set to "Home"
Quite a head-scratcher, this one...
Any help would be appreciated guys!

Warm rgds,
Dorian

Txs for your reply @abern1007, appreciated.

My primary computer is a Lenovo T520 running Win’s 7 Pro, 64-bit. My secondary netbook is an Acer Aspire One running win’s 10 Home, 64-bit.

Both systems are not able to get the web version of Spotify to work. Both systems are able to log into Spotify perfectly and access all of one’s music, whether playlists, or, the like.  However, when it comes to clicking the “arrow” to play … well, nothing happens.  Most weird.

I don’t think the solution “should” be to need to run Spotify from a flash drive—unnecessary, extra “stuff” to need to content with. I’m sure that the reason for this (esp. given the many folk that are also experiencing this issue) is, firstly, most likely a simple one, and, secondly, does need to be resolved, which I am sure the brainy guys behind Firefox / Spotify are busy sorting out.  Hopefully, anyhow. J There’s a “quirk” here:  my Spotify desktop app works perfectly, on both computers.  Hmm … something quirky here… So, as mentioned, this is most likely something simple … a simple configuration, etc.  One just needs to use some logic as to how to identify it. Surely?

To your questions:

- Yes, checked the volume sliders … all are above “0”

- Deleted cookies / cache

- Network set to “Home”

Quite a head-scratcher, this one…

Any help would be appreciated guys! Warm rgds,

Dorian

Marked as solution

Hi, I may have had the same problem as you (for me Chrome/FireFox/Opera not working, but Edge was working). I was able to fix the problem by following @thepest solution here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/Web-Player-not-working-in-Chrome-b...

It's as if the browser/web player is, for lack of a better term, "stuck". With the web player open, I played music with the Spotify app on my phone, clicked Devices Available on the bottom of the app, and then switched it to Spotify Web Player. The browser/web player started playing like normal again, as if it got "unstuck". If it's indeed the same problem, worst case you might need to fiddle with different devices playing back to the web player (and vice versa, also might need to close and reopen web player) to get it working again.

Hey Chiufucious, spot-on my friend --  you nailed it -- thanks v much!

I followed the "concept" of your note in that, all carried out on my computer, note, I first opened the Spotify Web Player in Firefox, which, yes, did everything except "play."

Then, concurrently, openened Spotify Desktop, which, oddly, would not actually play.

So, per your concept, went to the bottom of the Desktop App and clicked on "Connect to a Device" and chose, first, the Desktop option, then, the Web option and, hey presto, sound from the Web App!  Oddly, while both song progress indicators work together, when while both are open, a lot of functionality is prevented in the Desktop version.  No words, no clue ... must be logical a reason for this somewhere.

Clearly there's something for the Spotify dev's / coders / programmers to do here, and, patently, the various options don't shake hands very well.  I'm trusting that the Spotify crew do actually read these forums and will fix this.

There's definitely a programming logic that has not been properly throught through.

Thanks again for your help, appreciated!

Dorian

1) Delete spotify app from your computer

2) Restart your computer

3) Start the webplayer again and it works! 

Solution doesn't work for Firefox 57+
Disabled all other addo-ons (Adblock, etc)
Allow Spotify to use Flash.
Still doesn't work.
Play button works, but music never advances.
Works fine in Chrome, but I hate Chrome.

Suggested posts