Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Web player][Bug] Follow/unfollow artist sets "Following"/unfollow for all "Fans also like" artists

[Web player][Bug] Follow/unfollow artist sets "Following"/unfollow for all "Fans also like" artists

Plan

Free

Country

U.S.

Device

Lenovo E15

Operating System

Manjaro (linux)

Browser

Chromium

My Question or Issue

Problem:

Within web player, clicking the "follow" button on an artist page results in a follow of the artist as well as all artists listed under "Fans also like" header.

To reproduce: 

- I am on an artist page like [Sam Divine](https://open.spotify.com/artist/029RjYsk0DU8LKC92sUyXZ)

- Press "Follow" button at top

- [wait ~10 seconds]

- Check the artist page.

If you're looking though logs, I just followed Sam Divine about 10' ago (3:20 ET on 1/28/21). Apparently, I am now following artists like [Kings of Tomorrow](https://open.spotify.com/artist/2b8d0BREA7r3nbVhD649yX).

What happens if I unfollow?

I unfollowed Sam Divine at 3:33 ET on 1/28/21. After ~10 sec. I am unfollowing all of the "Fans also liked" artists.

4 Replies

Hey there @webel0,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We tried this from our end and we couldn't reproduce the same behavior in the web player.

Can you clear your cache and cookies to see if the issue persist? 

Also, can you try with a private/incognito window?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

Yes, it does appear to have something to do with frontend caching. It does not appear in incognito mode or if I disable cache.

In "normal" mode (cache permitted, non-incognito):

1. Followed a band called Test Dept  (ha)
  2. Waited.
  3. Clicked on another band
  4. It appears.
  5. ctrl-shft-r and it is now gone.

The screenshot below is for the other band I clicked through to see. It shows that the returned artist info JSON shows that I am not following this band. It also shows the "Following" button.

Another curiosity: If I attempt to "unfollow" this second band (i.e. the one I'm not actually following) then the delete request is sent and it returns a 204.

Michael

webel0_0-1611977454932.png

Hey @webel0

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the information you sent. 

Could you try if the issue persists using a different browser?

On another note, we suggest that you reinstall the browser you're having this issue with if it's possible. 

Also, just to make sure have you tried clearing your browser's cache?

Keep us posted! 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

Yeah, so now that it is clear that I’m not actually following these people then I don’t mind. Your frontend team just has a cache issue and if you want me to do more debugging for you I will need to be compensated.

Michael

Suggested posts