Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web player only plays song for 9 seconds

Web player only plays song for 9 seconds

Plan

Free

Country

USA 

Device

Lenovo ThinkPad T460

Operating System

Windows 10 version 1709

My Question or Issue

Hello. I'm dealing with a frustrating issue using the web player in Chrome. When I play a song, it will play the first 9 seconds, then switch to another song, then play only the first 9 seconds of that song, and then the music stops completely. After the music stops, this error message pops up: "Oooops, something went wrong with the playback. Reload". I was doing some research online and have not been able to find a solution for this issue. I did see in the community here that there were multiple users having this same issue in September. However, that was supposedly resolved.

I am using the most current version of Chrome. I have cleared out my browser cache and history. It still does not work. I am experiencing this issue on my laptop in an office environment. I suspected that maybe my company's firewall may be blocking spotify from playing music. However, that is not the case because my coworkers can listen to spotify using the web player without issue. Installing the spotify app is not an option because we are not allowed to load additional applications on to our work devices.

Can someone please help me find a solution to this issue? I like to listen to music at work and I prefer spotify. However, I've had to use Pandora lately because spotify doesn't work.

14 Replies

I forgot to add that the web player worked perfectly in the past. This issue came up in just the last couple months.

I also have this issue on the web player. Plays for 9 seconds then skips. 

This issue began with the chrome update and like you, I'm in an office environment and cannot instal the desktop player nor access through another browser. Web player worked fine then it went to **bleep** after the update. 

Please post here again if you ever find a solution. 

Windows 7 Enterprise

Google Chrome 
Version 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Hey @dozer0430.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Do you have the chance to try a different web-browser? We'd also like to know if you could try a different account, from one of your coworkers for example.

Let us know what the result is as this will help us to figure out what is going on here 🙂

Thanks! Have a nice day.

In my office environment, the only other browser I have access to is Internet Explorer. However, my company keeps us on an older version of IE for some reason, so Spotify has never worked in IE. I had my coworker try logging in to the web player from my device and she was able to play music without issue. She also just let me know that she is a Premium subscriber. I'm not sure if that is the issue since I'm a Free subscriber. However, that would be odd to me because the only difference would be that I listen to ads and she doesn't. Just to be extra certain, I tried logging in to the web player on my coworker's device. When I did that, I was able to play music without issue. Could that mean the problem is being caused by some combination of settings on my device and the fact that I'm a Free subscriber?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey @dozer0430

If you've made sure that your browser is up-to-date, there might be a site setting that needs to be enabled. Make sure that you have "Ads" and "Pop-ups and redirects" enabled, and try enabling other settings. You'll find the settings by clicking on the symbol to the immediate left of the site URL you're currently in. Also try opening the Web Player in an incognito window to see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, you might have to talk to your IT department. We will however try to do our best to solve it from here. Let us know your Chrome version and send us a screenshot and we'll see what we can do. 

Thanks!

I'm having the same issue. My company did an update download for Chrome and now it's not working. IE never worked, so I can't test it there. Also, the desktop app never worked. I've cleared history and cache, checked pop-ups and ads are allowed.

I am having the same exact problem as well.  Mine started a couple of weeks ago.  Same "background" info.  Office environment..coworker(s) are able to (they are free and I am premium)..cannot try with IE as it has never worked on there previously (and still does not). 

Hey @maus7808@xxjoeyxxeb and @dozer0430,

Thanks for getting back to us.

If a different account works, you could try to get a new account. It shouldn't make any difference if you are on a Free or Premium account.

However since you are using Spotify in a work environment, there not much we can do except for helping you with a new account (if that works) or having you ask for help at the IT department since perhaps some connections are being blocked. We understand that you can't use a different browser due to restrictions so that third option is not available.

If you make a new account and that account works fine, you can move all your music from your old account account to your new account. Make sure your music collection is stored in public playlists, visit your old account with your new account and grab all your songs from there. You’ll be able to visit your old account by putting the following string in the search bar:  spotify:user:username

Don't forget to replace username with your own username. Oh and by the way, If you want to use the same email address for your new account, you'll have to close your old account. You'll have 7 days to visit your old account and find your music there. You’ll also need to cancel your subscription on your old account, in case you have a Premium account.

Should work. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

I actually just updated Chrome again today. Now I'm on Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (32-bit). I tried the Spotify web player and it still does not work. In fact, it no longer even tries to play a song for 9 seconds. Now, it just goes straight to the error message: "Oooops, something went wrong with the playback. Reload". I have tried turning on and off various settings in Chrome, including allowing pop-ups and ads. None of that has helped.

I found out this issue is actually affecting multiple users at my company. Some of them have contacted IT, but we have not been offered much help in finding a solution. Of the people using Spotify web player in our company, there is a pretty even mix of some who can stream successfully and the others who can't. It has been unofficially suggested that changing to the 64-bit version of Chrome might be a solution. However, it is just a quiet hypothesis that our IT area is not officially backing at this point, so the 64-bit version has not been made widely available to users.

Does any of this information spark other ideas?

Thank you so much. You have no idea how boring being in school gets without music

Hello! I'm a student with a Chromebook and I have exact same issue what can I do?

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

We'd suggest you clear the cache and cookies. It's also important that the browser is up-to-date.

If that doesn't help, you can try with another browser and another network.

If that doesn't do the trick, you might be experiencing this issue. You can add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread, to stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

1. My chrome is always up to date.

2. I cleared cookies and cache (why I should do this? Your site must do this and keep all data clean automatically).

3. I have paid account.

4. I have no special network conditions and limitations.

I AM STILL CAN PLAY ONLY 9 SECONDS OF EACH TRACK!!!

Chrome is the most popular browser in the world, but your site simply not works.

You are unable to fix this issue for a years.

wth?

Apparently you just clear the data and reset permissions for the web player not the spotify website. Im just using opera GX LVL 2 (core: 73.0.3856.389)... Hope it helps

Suggested posts