Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why Does Spotify Suddenly Think I’m a Fan of Pop Music?

Why Does Spotify Suddenly Think I’m a Fan of Pop Music?

Lately I have been getting ads with a stilted, monotonous voice (an adolescent male, I presume(?)) saying, “[Hey Spotifiers], pop fans have been liking this new release . . .”  The annoyingness of these ads is only one part of the problem.  The larger part comes from how out of touch Spotify is with my tastes.  According to search trends and mixes, I am nowhere near to being a so-called “pop fan”; I should be a classical/rock/ambient/jazz/folk fan, yet it’s more likely to find a hen’s tooth than a recommendation for an album that suits my tastes.

I absolutely detest pop music, especially everything being made (‘composed’ would be an understatement) nowadays.  Why Spotify keeps on recommending me all this drivel makes no sense, and even disliking the ads does not mean they will go away (as just about any ad on Spotify does).  Sadly it is unlikely any will listen to my pleas, but if someone does, I wish to find help and others who fell into the same predicament as I did.

1 Reply

Hey there @Eclipse_31,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Keep in mind that these ads aren't personalized, they're rather based on other different factors such as location.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

You can also consider adding your +VOTE to this idea. Despite its current status, you can still add your vote to it and if anything changes in the future, we'll make sure to keep everyone updated over there. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea.

Check out this Spotify Answer to learn more about it.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts