Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify will introduce FREE mobile streaming soon

Spotify will introduce FREE mobile streaming soon

Spotify will soon allow its ad-supported users to stream music on demand for free on their mobile devices, according to reports from the Wall Street Journal and TechCrunch. The company is reportedly holding an event next week to announce the service tweak, which takes a bit of the incentive away from subscribing.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/12/report-spotify-will-introduce-free-mobile-streaming-next-wee...

Comments?

39 Replies

I'm more interested to know what this means for those of us subscribed to Unlimited instead of Free or Premium.

More info here.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check album availability here

I've just written an article on this here as well. Excuse the disjointedness of it, as I was writing up one great announcement another was coming in... Some great stuff has just happened!

Big kudos to Spotify!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Exciting times! You can read more about Spotify free on mobile phones here and on tablets here.

If you have any questions, just ask away.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Not sure if I missed something in the reading but how come tablet users can listen to songs on-demand but non-tablet mobile device users can't? o.o.
Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

Guessing its down to how tablets aren't as mobile as "mobiles" and tablets are rapidly becomming the replacement for laptops and desktops. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

o0o, thanks for explaining! That does make a whole lot of sense, :).
Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

I have a question.... Would the newly announced free version be Connect compatible or is Connect just a premium feature?

Android Troubleshooting:

@mechanimal82 wrote:

I have a question.... Would the newly announced free version be Connect compatible or is Connect just a premium feature?

Spotify Connect is just a Premium feature 🙂

@meahtenoha wrote:

@mechanimal82 wrote:

Spotify Connect is just a Premium feature 🙂

Thanks. I've just noticed it does say that on the FAQ for tablets but there is no mention of it in the Mobile Phone Section:

https://support.spotify.com/se/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-free-on-your-mobile-phone

"Like what you hear? Upgrade to Premium to enjoy even more features:
  • Sync playlists for offline use.
  • Play individual tracks or full albums on-demand.
  • Listen to entire tracks on Discover and those sent to your Inbox.
  • Play all the music by your favorite artists.
  • High quality streaming."

Might be worth making note of it there just to make it perfectly clear.

Thanks Meredith

Android Troubleshooting:

ok so i downloaded the app but theres no option to play my playlist just start radio. Has the update not gone live yet?

Does the playlist not have a shuffle button at the top which allows you to play it? What device are you using? 

Peter

no shuffle button just a radio button and a share button at the top. using the lg optimus Q spotify version 0.7.4.608

Wondering do we just need to give it some time to update.

Peter

maybe... whats the shuffle button suppose to look like or does it take the place of the radio button?

This is misleading

http://mashable.com/2013/12/11/spotify-free-any-device/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

You can't listen free to your playlists, in fact, from what I can see, you can't listen to anything apart from what Spotify streams... and that's not to my taste... have I missed something here?

You can stream playlists and entire artist catalogues in shuffle mode, you just can't stream on demand. Or you should be able to, it doesn't appear to working for everyone yet. 

Peter

@Peter wrote:

Wondering do we just need to give it some time to update.

Hey! This is in a gradual roll-out. Please check back again later today. 

Hey @MikeyB  Sam's posted links to two articles above that explain the differences in what's offered on mobile and iPad/ tablet. If you have any other questions just let us know here. 

I just test drove the Android app, and I'm still barely grasping at what's offered to me there as an Unlimited subscriber as opposed to a Free user or a Premium subscriber. I don't see any ads, but i'm also limited in how many skips I get and I can only shuffle - so basically If i'm right, we have the free options but with no ads. Is that correct? That's is completely fine with me, as I expected the options for me to be between the free and premium tiers, but I just haven't seen anything about the Unlimited tier in any of the promotion for this. Is there any other perks we get that free users don't aside from no ads?

Suggested posts